AR15 6.8 SPC

OSUPITTSBURGH427

whats your reasoning on the 6.8? I know they say the ballistics are better than a 5.56, but in my opinion not by enough to warrant having an upper with harder to come by ammo.

I want to do a 6.5 grendal, but there aren't many places to utilize the range of the round

whats your reasoning on the 6.8? I know they say the ballistics are better than a 5.56, but in my opinion not by enough to warrant having an upper with harder to come by ammo.

I want to do a 6.5 grendal, but there aren't many places to utilize the range of the round

Nga with some taste. :cool:

I think the Grendel is badass, but I it is more expensive and as far as I know harder to find than the 6.8. Also I believe that in the next few years it will become much more popular and thus making it cheaper and easier to find.

However if price and availability wasn't issue I would get the Grendel, I like the way the ballistics look, but I am still trying to get use to the idea of it being based of the 7.62x39.

Agreed. I wouldn't bother owning an AR in anything other than 5.56 or 7.62. Why bother?

Also, what are you going to use it for, and how much can you spend?

There is so MUCH marketing LWRC has done to make people believe they are *so* great. I have yet to see one that hasn't failed with less than 250 rounds through it. I am sure they have gotten better than the stuff they let get by QC, but it used to be awful. It's like they have a division making military stuff that was good and a division making stuff for civilians that was the pile of fail.

There is so MUCH marketing LWRC has done to make people believe they are *so* great. I have yet to see one that hasn't failed with less than 250 rounds through it. I am sure they have gotten better than the stuff they let get by QC, but it used to be awful. It's like they have a division making military stuff that was good and a division making stuff for civilians that was the pile of fail.

i have shot a few and they were fine, but then again it wasnt my rifle.

What for? Not trying to champion a round, just promote some discussion

I know it has its shortcomings, well shortcoming being knockdown power, but other than that I can't find anything I don't like about it. Some don't like the ballistics of it, but on the range, once dialed in properly I don't care if something has a flatter trajectory. For a carbine type rifle it does pretty good. Now if you want to have something else then I will agree with you, I wouldn't put a 5.56 into another "style" of rifle. That might be why I can't decide what to do with my other lower, because if I want to make a long gun, why go AR variant, pretty much it is only good for a sbr

What the .gov is doing with "improving" the current m4 before replacing it is stupid in my opinion, because the one we have now are just fine until the replacements get here

Since I have a few 5.56 AR's, I wouldn't mind a 6.8 SPC rifle, but it sure as shit wouldn't be the primary rifle I own. AR's are great and all, but realistically, I've bought an M1A for my 7.62 fix, so 5.56 is good for me.

But again 6.8 SPC is an intermediate round, so ballistics are ok and it has some power behind it. Personally, I could only think of using 6.8 as a defensive weapon or a hog hunting rifle.