drive shaft geometry???

STEVE-O

I know tinman could probably help answer this question but I am sure a few of you chassis guys or other can to...

1: When doing a V8 swap on a car that did not have or come with the option of a V8 is it better/ easier to do a 2 piece driveshaft so the rear diff geometry etc is not messed with at all??

OR

2: how hard is it to make sure when measuring for a custom driveshaft to make the geometry correct so you dont blow up rear ends???

Steve, you're not dead? And you're doing and engine swap? Coolness.

The geometry is in both the elevation and angle of the pinion gear and transmission output shaft/ engine crankshaft. It's the placement of these items that determines how long the driveshaft will live and how many ponies it will rob.

Ideally you want the driveshaft to angle downwards from the output shaft around 2 degrees and angle back up to the pinion the exact same. RX7s are a pain in the ass to make this happen properly but in most other cars it's very simple. Bust out the protractor and dust off what you learned in trig class that you thought you would never use and make some diagrams.

Steve, you're not dead? And you're doing and engine swap? Coolness.

The geometry is in both the elevation and angle of the pinion gear and transmission output shaft/ engine crankshaft. It's the placement of these items that determines how long the driveshaft will live and how many ponies it will rob.

Ideally you want the driveshaft to angle downwards from the output shaft around 2 degrees and angle back up to the pinion the exact same. RX7s are a pain in the ass to make this happen properly but in most other cars it's very simple. Bust out the protractor and dust off what you learned in trig class that you thought you would never use and make some diagrams.

Talking with a tech here who worked at a off road shop for a long time said since I am using the stock rear end fir now, it wont be to bad at all. just to leave the trans mount until last. That way I make sure to have the right angles I need both on the trans side and the rear diff side of the driveshaft then make the mount I need to hold the trans in place.

Does not seem to bad at all. I was reading where a guy did a two piece shaft and it seemed like a nightmare s I wanted to make sure I was not getting to far over my head doing a one piece and going through books of paper and math before being able to work this problem out.

Thanks for the input