Is this a problem?

Fubar231

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f302/SevereSarz/IMG00410-20100917-0230.jpg

My new Hooker 1 3/4" headers, and the flange isnt flat. Should i take them back or have it machined to be flat?

The raised Welded? lips are machined flat so... They would matte to the block fine i assume, but then thered be all that space...

i would think you wouldnt want it all flat as the way they are should really push into the gasket for a good seal. as long as the 'raised tube parts' are all symmetrically flat, youll be fine... they look like they might not be (probably just the photo)

it should concentrate all the pressure right on the pipes themselves to seal better vs. the flange too, which might prevent a tight fit on the pipes??.. my theory

it should concentrate all the pressure right on the pipes themselves to seal better vs. the flange too, which might prevent a tight fit on the pipes??.. my theory

I think your right. From what ive read they do this on some headers to give it more of a bite into the gasket. Granted i think a flat flange w/ a mls gasket would be 5x better than this.

thats how the hooker headers on my other camaro were and they never leaked. use GM gaskets from a 2003 6.0L truck though.

Hmm... thats good to know at least. I was going to use the Percy Seal-4-good aluminum header gaskets. already bought them. There a MLS soft aluminum gasket.

Think ill be good?

Hmm... thats good to know at least. I was going to use the Percy Seal-4-good aluminum header gaskets. already bought them. There a MLS soft aluminum gasket.

Think ill be good?

You should be good, I'd just take a flat file and ensure the ports are flat (and I don't mean down to the flange)

Think ill be good?

waste of money and you have to recheck torque all the time because they will leak other wise.

waste of money and you have to recheck torque all the time because they will leak other wise.

I'm going to disagree with you on that one AJ, Chad and I both have those and we've had zero issues. 1 retorque after a heat cyce and a couple years later with no leaks.

Guest 614Streets
I use Hooker super comps and percys, only problem is my stainless bolts do get loose, rather than stage 8 them , I remember one of the last men standing at jegs saying to me loctite one them.

I use Hooker super comps and percys, only problem is my stainless bolts do get loose, rather than stage 8 them , I remember one of the last men standing at jegs saying to me loctite one them.

Read this somewhere on ls1tech. People were mad there header bolts kept backing off so they hit them with loc-tite.

Guest 614Streets
Read this somewhere on ls1tech. People were mad there header bolts kept backing off so they hit them with loc-tite.

Last time I drove my Nova , which now seems ages ago(Jumping off a cliff , hanging myself soon) , my drivers side middle bolts backed off and took a trip down south then a carnival cruise bouncing down the streets.