A rant about parts breakage.

Guest 614Streets

Guest 614Streets

Honestly I thought I would have made alot of runs in my Nova by now but I have been fighting with issues left and right.

After intially having the original hydralic cam wipe , I tore it all back apart and upgraded to a solid bullet grind , i laid out about 1000 bucks on a comp cams hi tek cam belt drive , picked up comp pro magnum rockers , moroso girdles , measured the pushrods , degreed the cam using the intake centerline method. Just you know upgraded it.

After all that only to have it all back together and find out that the machine shop did not tighten up enough or use pipe dope on the top oil galley plug. So there is this oil leak at the back of the block and im not going to tear the motor back down for that I will live out the rest of the season with a couple of mcdonalds napkins. I hate oil leaks , speaking of which the first time around there was none , now there seepage in a couple other place , minor but oil leaks drive me nuts.

So anyways I am all back with the revamped and upgrades and I hit up trails for the first time so I can finally start making some progress and go from there. The first run was 12.44 after somehow the trans brake didnt work and i ran out of the box 2 gear.

I did get to make three more passes with all three being 11.78 on 7 psi. Alright so I figured cool Ill make some changes to the car during the week and be back to progress it and dial it in more. So at the shop the next week The first change I made was 2 sizes smaller on the main jet and went down hayden run to 123 it. Well what do you know I end up losing third and limping it back. It turns out that the redneck trans I bought in 2005 and had all but 4 passes on and light street cruise miles failed.

The transmission let go because a snap ring inside the transmission poped out of its grove and ran around. Im pretty sure it let loose before the gear actually was no longer there , if not at the track maybe even before hand. Possibly builder error. Almost gaurantee it , the front pump wasnt damaged.

So anyways I ate that because I bought it in 05......

Fast forward to last month I bought a new 350 with a brake from jackson and he sold me his lifetime gaurentee unit. Anything ever breaks it gets replaced free.

Well I couldnt even get it in the car for 4 weeks. As it turns out my flywheel was sticking back to much, why I have no idea , I only got about a 1/16 runout on the mounting pads but clearly something happened to it. I was dancing around the Idea that because I had 1 inch from the back of the block to the flywheel mounting tabs , and 1 1/16 from the transmission bellhousing to the face of the converter , that my converter was off.

Jackson had art carr mock up a 350 to make sure they didnt have a bad run and he advised me they use a tci flywheel during the mock up. Nevermind the extra 1 1/16" on the converters (6.3 versus 6.1250 ) for the balloon plate , it was the fucking flywheel and whatever it has going on with it.

Well its up and running again tonight , although now the wideband is fouled out.

So yeah thats cool I get to start dialing in my car in october. :rollseyes:

Dude that sucks! My dad has been down a similar road before and it just takes time. If building and running fast cars were easy everybody (including Phil) would have one.

It is a process and a journey just take a breath and realize you will get it fixed and it will make fan-fucing-tastic passes soon enough :)

Fail for not having an icon where you intended :rolleye: not :rolleyes:. Sounds like my old camro, if it ain't one thing its another. Small oil leak, lil this lil that. Makes you feel like the car doesn't even wanna run. Makes me further believe me next toy car will be a bolt on car only. Sorry to hear about the troubles man. I felt the pain.

Fail for not having an icon where you intended :rolleye: not :rolleyes:. Sounds like my old camro, if it ain't one thing its another. Small oil leak, lil this lil that. Makes you feel like the car doesn't even wanna run. Makes me further believe me next toy car will be a bolt on car only. Sorry to hear about the troubles man. I felt the pain.

After seeing some of the issues others have had I don't know how much futher I am going to take my car. It is very hard unless you have $$$$ and or the ability to have a fast street/strip car.

I might hold off and wait until I can afford a track only car so I don't have to worry about compromise, just balls out fun.

After seeing some of the issues others have had I don't know how much futher I am going to take my car. It is very hard unless you have $$$$ and or the ability to have a fast street/strip car.

I might hold off and wait until I can afford a track only car so I don't have to worry about compromise, just balls out fun.

Its fun having that cam lope and knowing your car will do work. But the frustration and headaches up to that point are not worth it to me anymore. Ben with the old white ss had it right, good sound bolt on ls1. Wasn't the fastest, but it was quick and it was sexy. That will be what I do with my next camaro. The rest is just not as much fun.

Its fun having that cam lope and knowing your car will do work. But the frustration and headaches up to that point are not worth it to me anymore. Ben with the old white ss had it right, good sound bolt on ls1. Wasn't the fastest, but it was quick and it was sexy. That will be what I do with my next camaro. The rest is just not as much fun.

Exhaust, cam, Stall, Tires, suspenson, tune and you will be mid 12's and can drive it to the track while getting road head while listening to Run DMC

Exhaust, cam, Stall, Tires, suspenson, tune and you will be mid 12's and can drive it to the track while getting road head while listening to Run DMC

I may skip the cam as well. Idk why but I felt like that was a major issue with my last car and I want to avoid internals all together. Bolt on 6 sp, and a tune, lowered, tinted windows. I won't ever see the track again unless I get my gsxr 1k. But I do like rd head, not a huge run dmc fan. More of a drake lil wayne jay z kinda guy.