Used supercharger?

Richard Cranium

Hey guys. I'm a newb when it comes to boost. I've read a lot on the subject and eventually I want to run a blower on my car. I spotted a craigslist ad with an LT1 blower setup for what sounds to be a reasonable price.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/pts/1985413942.html

What should I look for when/if I'm buying something like this used? I hear people talking about shaft play on the impellers with turbos, does this apply to blowers also?

I saw that yesterday. Look for shaft play, leaking seals, grinding when the impeller is spun, etc. Also look to make sure all fasteners and piping/couplers are there.

Oh, and ditch the FMU. Put in bigger injectors, fuel pump, and get it tuned. Mine originally came with a FMU and the car was running in the 16s on A/F.

do yourself another favor and stay away from buying parts off craigslist when you don't know the person. I learned the hard way...

This is part of my thought process. I don't mind throwing $100 or less at something, if it's bad I can eat the cost.

Thanks for the info Ant. I did build the motor with 42 lb injectors in anticipation of doing something either boost or nitrous. I've never been planning anything crazy, so I figured they would be big enough.

I never thought of a blower having an internal belt, good information to watch out for. I assumed they would all be gear driven internally.

Sounds like I'll pass on this one without even looking. I thought it was worth asking though since I assume a new system will cost at least double if not closer to triple.