1911 Research

El Karacho1647545492

Never owned one, only fired one once about 7 years ago, but I decided I'm just gonna put aside some money from each paycheck to get one. This will primarily be something to take to the range periodically, eventually a carry weapon perhaps. I've been doing some research looking around at prices/complaints for each brand, I want Gun Crew input. Budget = less than $600.

Taurus: Seems like everyone talking shit about Taurus 1911s has never even held one. I hear they shoot quite well and are less prone to problems than any of the others in this price range, are there any owners here with insight?

RIA: Read lots of good things from biased owners, most people say "just get a Springfield", but its the least expensive of the bunch. Any experience or opinions other than "just get a Springfield?"

Springfield: Clearly the preferred brand at this price range, can someone tell me why I should just get a Springfield?

Any suggestions, including but not limited to "just get a Springfield" are welcome.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a 1911 Springfield A1 GI Milspec last year and I love it. I haven't had any issues with it and I have probably put close to 600 or 700 rounds through it. Shoots smooth and accurate. I paid 500 for it on sale at Vance's. I was looking in the same price range as you are and Springfield kept popping up as a good choice. I've never shot a Taurus 1911 but a buddy has one and hasn't had any issues with it. I can't see carrying my 1911 as a carry weapon because although it is slender it's still coming in at 5 inches.

Also check Para...i owned a used one and never had a problem, iv also shot the pt1911 that mike has(not his) but one liked it and it was a very nice gun...my grandpa owns a Springfield and I like it a lot, felt like an ultra carry iv shot many times. I would definitely say the Springfield would be what i would look at for that price range.

I have a PT1911 I'll sell you for less than $600. It's a helluva gun. Now that's being said coming from a kimber.

I think I saw that one; two tone, finger grips? I like it. Probably gonna be another month or two before I comfortably spend that kinda money, but I'll definitely PM you.

EDIT: And I definitely plan on hitting the range with all 3 of these before I buy, but I want to know more when I walk in.

If you are on a budget, you should check out the Rock Island pistols. They are incredibly inexpensive and are excellent shooters.

I was extremely surprised by the very nice trigger on my friend's gun (full size tactical model). The trigger was as good as the Springfield and better than the stock Taurus.

Find someone local who has one or a local range that rents guns and see if you can try one before you purchase...you'll be amazed how nice these pistols are for the money (prices from $370-$560).

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/1911.aspx

I'd buy a used Colt, save $$$, then send it to Wilson.

But, off the shelf for the price range you're in, I'd go Springfield like most said. I've got a 1911-A1 with some work done, and it'll blow a 10 ring out with no issues. Personally I'm in the market for more of an Ed Brown, Wilson or Colt with some work done in the future. Needless to say, you don't need to drop $2K for a decent 1911.

I'm not a Taurus fan. I've owned a few and had issues with all of them. I love my Colt Defender. It shoots straight and I've never had any issue with it. The only caveat to the small, light weight Colt is it kills my hand when I shoot more than 50 rounds at a time with it but that probably wouldn't be a problem for you. The price on the Colts are well above your price range. I also have a Para GI Expert that is a work horse. The Para is fun to shoot and recoil isn't bad at all and it's just as accurate as the Colt..... The Para sees the most range time of all my .45's. Para also has a nice double stack 1911 that holds 14 rounds that would be worth looking at.

The Para GI Expert runs $580 at Vance's and usually about $400-$450 used, but for $499 it's hard to beat the Springfield 1911A1 GI Lightweight at Vance's.

Pretty much any modern 1911 is going to be quality, considering how much the public is pushing for them. Vance's has this:

http://www.vanceoutdoors.com/products2.cfm/ID/92435/name/ati-1911-military-45acp-8-rd

I would like to research it a bit, its a great price but I've not heard a thing about them.

I personally have a Rock Island and it has been absolutely flawless. That being said, I would recommend getting the Tactical over the GI as it starts with much better sights. The problem with GI sites is it takes some machining in order to swap anything else on, so that is something to think about when making a purchase. For example, that Ati I linked has GI sights. Of course, that's not an issue if you are someone like me who likes being able to just pull something out of the box and run with it. I don't like tinkering with shit.

Eventually I will buy a really nice 1911 but for now I would trust my life to my RIA.

Pretty much any modern 1911 is going to be quality, considering how much the public is pushing for them. Vance's has this:

http://www.vanceoutdoors.com/products2.cfm/ID/92435/name/ati-1911-military-45acp-8-rd

I would like to research it a bit, its a great price but I've not heard a thing about them.

I personally have a Rock Island and it has been absolutely flawless. That being said, I would recommend getting the Tactical over the GI as it starts with much better sights. The problem with GI sites is it takes some machining in order to swap anything else on, so that is something to think about when making a purchase. For example, that Ati I linked has GI sights. Of course, that's not an issue if you are someone like me who likes being able to just pull something out of the box and run with it. I don't like tinkering with shit.

Eventually I will buy a really nice 1911 but for now I would trust my life to my RIA.

Mike, I think the gun you linked to is very similar or even an exact copy of the Rock Island GI model. What do you think?

Rock Island GI

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AC-RI1911.aspx

ATI Military FX 45

http://dealer.americantactical.us/products?product=1405

They are both USGI patterned 1911A1 handguns. That doesn't say whether or not it is reliable or made from quality materials.

EDIT That being said, they are both made in the Philippines. If the ATI is also made by Armscor, then I can reasonably say it should be a good gun, just like the Armscor made Rock Island.

I guess I should toss out Auto-Ordnance aswell. They're the company specializing in WWII era firearms, to include the 1911. From the looks of it, it's a simple G.I style 1911, or in other words plain and simple. No experience with the company, but their Thompson semi autos are pretty impressive.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/Webcontent/images/2009-11/20091123145836-kahrarms_ms.jpg

http://www.auto-ordnance.com/PA-1AO_pkz.html

The cheaper 1911s like the Springfield GI won't have a good beavertail safety on them, and they will eat away at the web of your hand after a few hundred rounds. If you get a cheaper 1911 you plan on shooting, plan on replacing that pretty soon.

1911s are kinda like m1a's. They want to be 'tinkered' with, and most every part will need hand fitting. Some parts from some makers may be drop-in in some 1911s.

That being said I love the way even my cheapie Springfield 1911 mil-spec shoots, and it's plenty accurate. Be careful with modding- many times people get in over their head with what seems like an easy part swap, and the gun doesn't run afterwards.

yeah, i'm not the type to tinker too much. in my mind it'd be better to have my cheapie range gun that I can afford now/soon, and then when I feel like I want an upgrade i'll buy a Wilson as something to complement my collection.

That said, I don't want to buy a weapon that needs a whole lot of attention. I'm a knowledgable and responsible gun owner in that I regularly clean my weapons and take excellent care of them, but I don't want to be forced to figure out a solution to each little problem, like modifying the safety so i don't shred my hand.

Right now I'm seeing Springfield as the clear frontrunner with a couple drawbacks that I could happily deal with.

You know, when you get down to it a $400 1911 will do 95% of the work a $2500 1911 will. It just won't be quite as accurate, reliable, pretty, or robust. It will still be a 1911 though and want springs replaced every year, mags will be finicky, and you'll have to carry cocked and locked.

So get a cheapy, shoot the shit out of it, and upgrade if you need/want to. Good plan.

You know, when you get down to it a $400 1911 will do 95% of the work a $2500 1911 will. It just won't be quite as accurate, reliable, pretty, or robust. It will still be a 1911 though and want springs replaced every year, mags will be finicky, and you'll have to carry cocked and locked.

I will agree with this to a point. I'd say a $400 1911 will do 80% of a $2,500 custom 1911. An average end user that will spend a little time with it at the range, may not notice the difference between a Springfield and a Wilson. In the same token, those spending $2,500 on a 1911, more than likely have a purpose for it. I've read one gun magazine editor's Wilson CQB had over 30,000 rounds put through it. You probably won't get a G.I style 1911 to do that, but it doesn't mean it isn't a good gun. But like anything, there's a difference between good and great.

So get a cheapy, shoot the shit out of it, and upgrade if you need/want to. Good plan.

100% agreed with this comment.

I guess one other point I tend to have is why people stress so much about a price range. Personally I'm not looking so much into the price as compared to what I'm wanting out of a firearm. What is the purpose of this firearm? If this is a major means of protection, I'll buy the $900 firearm over the $400 firearm anyday of the week.