transmissions.

351mach11647545510

need my 4L60e in my avalanche rebuilt. OD started slipping alot. when it set a code off it started slammin in gear. now even with no codes it slams in gear if driven on the freeway more than 10 mins. who rebuilds them? i dont want to necessarily pay shop prices but not expectin to have it done cheap. just want it done right. anyone know someone?

ips motorsports did mine in my camaro... I wish i had the time to look into it more but it was my dd so I needed it fixed quick. If It is not your d look into changing and upgrading to a 4l80 instead of psending the money to rebuild the 4l60

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 614Streets

Have the sun gear shell replaced with the beast , its the weak link. Pat Decook at Atlas did mine in my gmc 233-5206. You can beef it up like a 4l65e.

Here is the yahoo search results for a beast sun gear shell so you can familiarize yourself the part and the upgrade.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oG7mi2HMFMX.IAFPFXNyoA;_ylc=X1MDMjc2NjY3OQRfcgMyBGFvAzEEZnIDc2x2OC0EaG9zdHB2aWQDam5ZR1drb0c3djVPZjJVNlRMN3E4QVdwcm1VOGJrekJITFlBQi5TdARuX2dwcwMwBG9yaWdpbgNzcnAEcXVlcnkDNGw2MCBiZWFzdARzYW8DMQR2dGVzdGlkA1FJMDA3?p=4l60+beast&fr2=sb-top&fr=slv8-

Also watch this short clip to see the part in question.

The part in question isnt expensive either so don't have thm tell you otherwise minus normal mark up fees.

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=A74624A&Category_Code=&Store_Code=2

The 80e conversion is pretty simple really. You swap 2 wires in the main harness on the tranny, the the cross member is off by about 2", the driveshaft is 1 3/4" to 2" shorter, if it is 4x4, you need to wire in another vss sensor, and the tranny to transfer case adapter is different, and the tune needs adjusted.

The hardest part about it for me was finding the time to take the driveshaft to a shop to have it cut down, and balanced.

The wiring harness you just have to take apart and rewire, the vss sensor wiring was like $10 shipped, the trans-transfer case adapter was $30 at a junk yard, and the drive shaft mod I paid $80. The crossmember I did myself, but I weld, and I have the older easy to do one, and the tune is just a segment swap, so it might not be as much as a full tune, I have hptuners, so it was free to me. A stock 80e will take anything you can throw at it if you truck is stock otherwise. Anything that is more than 4500lbs and is capable of towing should have come with it stock in the first place.

On the stall, what all do you use it for?

daily driving, some towing (when I do it's usually a good sized load), goofin off road a little and beatin the snot out of it on a regular basis.

At some point I would like to throw a cam and head combo on it for 1/4 mile but nothing serious.

Rushman Automotive rebuilt the transmission in my Dakota this past spring. All they do are transmissions and possibly rearends. I can honestly say it shifts better than it ever has since I've owned it, and my dad drove it and said it shifts better than when he first bought it ( it's his old truck ). They were surprisingly affordable too.

http://www.rushmanautomotive.com/

Rossler Transmissions. http://www.rosslertrans.com/

Located in Ohio, and there are some really fast cars running his stuff (including a couple fast CR members).

If the tranny in my Avalanche ever lets go, I'm getting one of his trannys. BTW, how many miles are on your Avalanche, and do you have a tranny cooler on it. I have 134k on mine now and zero tranny issues, but it does sport a large B&M cooler on it. I've towed a decent amount with it too.

Rushman Automotive rebuilt the transmission in my Dakota this past spring. All they do are transmissions and possibly rearends. I can honestly say it shifts better than it ever has since I've owned it, and my dad drove it and said it shifts better than when he first bought it ( it's his old truck ). They were surprisingly affordable too.

http://www.rushmanautomotive.com/

+1 for Rushman we sublet our transmission work to those guys and they do a GREAT job. Full description of what they found when tearing it apart and sometimes they bring us the box of old parts to look at. We have sent about a dozen to them in the 4-5 months. They use factory fluids, not just factory "approved" fluids and pay attention to TSB updates.

I would stay AWAY from A-team unless you want to take it back to them about a month after you have it done. What a headache.

daily driving, some towing (when I do it's usually a good sized load), goofin off road a little and beatin the snot out of it on a regular basis.

At some point I would like to throw a cam and head combo on it for 1/4 mile but nothing serious.

I would say if you want an all around tcc, get anywhere from stock to 2800-3000 stall any more than that and towing would suck. If I remember correctly the stock 80e stall is on the high side, like 2200 or something.

Oh yea, I forgot one part, it was the input on the transfer case. The shaft on the 80e is about 1/4" bigger than the 60e, so you have to take the transfer case apart, and switch out the splined input. I think that was $100 shipped. If you want I can make a list of everything, and pm you. I think I still have everything bookmarked.

I would say if you want an all around tcc, get anywhere from stock to 2800-3000 stall any more than that and towing would suck. If I remember correctly the stock 80e stall is on the high side, like 2200 or something.

Oh yea, I forgot one part, it was the input on the transfer case. The shaft on the 80e is about 1/4" bigger than the 60e, so you have to take the transfer case apart, and switch out the splined input. I think that was $100 shipped. If you want I can make a list of everything, and pm you. I think I still have everything bookmarked.

yea, that would be nice if you dont mind. nitrousbird, i only have 118,000 with no cooler.