Done with AT&T DSL, it sucks, Who has the best service for home Internet?

SpaceGhost

I have Roadrunner also and it works great for me. The problem with cable internet is that you're sharing bandwidth with your neighborhood. Granted, if the line TO the neighborhood is big enough, this isn't an issue. But if it isn't big enough for demand, then you'll start seeing bad connections and slow downloads. If your cable internet is slow, then likely you have a couple people near you sucking down the bandwidth and the cable company didn't lay out enough bandwidth for the demand.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I so hope I can see 1-2MB download speed today. Although I am a little put off by AT&T's 2wire equipment, I can't run my TimeCapsule the same way I can with a cable modem because AT&T's Equipment has NAT. Any UVERSE peeps here that can attest to being able to disable the equipment's NAT so my router can take care of the NAT?

I have Roadrunner also and it works great for me. The problem with cable internet is that you're sharing bandwidth with your neighborhood. Granted, if the line TO the neighborhood is big enough, this isn't an issue. But if it isn't big enough for demand, then you'll start seeing bad connections and slow downloads. If your cable internet is slow, then likely you have a couple people near you sucking down the bandwidth and the cable company didn't lay out enough bandwidth for the demand.

That's been my issue with Roadrunner for the last 6 months or so now. They oversold my area's node so I can't do hardly anything outside of regular browsing (and even that's noticeably slower) after about 5PM until about 1AM. Finally bugged them enough about it that they should be splitting my node within the next 2 weeks and my internet has been free for the past month and will continue to be free until it's fixed.

I was very tempted to make fliers letting everyone else in my neighborhood know I was getting my internet for free and they should too since we're all affected (if they have RR) but I'm too lazy and was also surprised they decided to credit me for whole months.

I so hope I can see 1-2MB download speed today. Although I am a little put off by AT&T's 2wire equipment, I can't run my TimeCapsule the same way I can with a cable modem because AT&T's Equipment has NAT. Any UVERSE peeps here that can attest to being able to disable the equipment's NAT so my router can take care of the NAT?

Just connect a wireless n router to the 2wire box with a ethernet cable, and disable the built in wireless and dhcp.

No it doesn't, plug the numbers in the calculator that jones posted, it's spot on. Your math is wrong. I think it is funny that this is your job and you don't understand the math, you need to look at the equation posted earlier in this thread.

My max at 12megabits/sec = 1.5 megabytes/sec

My 11.5 megabits/sec = 1.4megabytes/sec

No it doesn't, plug the numbers in the calculator that jones posted, it's spot on. Your math is wrong. I think it is funny that this is your job and you don't understand the math, you need to look at the equation posted earlier in this thread.

My max at 12megabits/sec = 1.5 megabytes/sec

My 11.5 megabits/sec = 1.4megabytes/sec

My math is spot the fuck on. How about I show you in screen shots, from the site you used, with each thing I calculated.

#1: 1 byte = 8 bits

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=168&pictureid=4515

#2: 1.4MB/s = 11.2 Mb/s

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=168&pictureid=4513

#3: 12 Mb/s > 11.2 Mb/s

Seriously, do you need a picture to show you that 12 is greater than 11.2?

What have I proven?

- The statement was that 1.4 Megabytes a second is 11.2 Megabits a second.

- Draco-REX stated that 1.4 Megabytes a second is very good from a 12 megabits a second connection.

- Draco-REX then stated that it was slightly above, meaning at 1.4 Megbytes a second was actually FASTER than 12 megabits a second

- I then proved that 1.4 Megabytes a second calculates out to 11.2 megabits a second

- 11.2 megabits a second is .8 megbits a second SLOWER than 12 megabits a second

- 12 > 11.2

I quoted Draco-REX - I didn't make ANY reference to your post. Yes, 12 Mb/s = 1.5 MB/s. Yes, your 11.51 Mb/s speed test = 1.43875 MB/s. In case you are curious, 12 is also greater than 11.51.

That's been my issue with Roadrunner for the last 6 months or so now. They oversold my area's node so I can't do hardly anything outside of regular browsing (and even that's noticeably slower) after about 5PM until about 1AM. Finally bugged them enough about it that they should be splitting my node within the next 2 weeks and my internet has been free for the past month and will continue to be free until it's fixed.

I was very tempted to make fliers letting everyone else in my neighborhood know I was getting my internet for free and they should too since we're all affected (if they have RR) but I'm too lazy and was also surprised they decided to credit me for whole months.

How do you know your Neighborhood is oversold?

DSL is shared at the DSLAM..... So your argument of shared bandwidth is pretty fruitless.

All Bandwidth is shared at some point, not 1 single person on this earth has dedicated bandwidth. It is just where it becomes shared that is different.

AT&T uverse is second to none. I love uverse cable and Internet. That part of their service is far and away better than any other Internet.

Really?

JD Power disagrees with you.

First in TV, Uverse has good toys, when they work

How does a phone company lose on phone to a small cable company? 4th place even!

DSL is shared at the DSLAM..... So your argument of shared bandwidth is pretty fruitless.

All Bandwidth is shared at some point, not 1 single person on this earth has dedicated bandwidth. It is just where it becomes shared that is different.

TL;DR version: Yes and no... DSL is indeed shared at the upstream module, but the way it's shared is quite different from the way cable (DOCSIS) is shared.

More techie version... The difference between DSL and DOCSIS is rather like the difference between UTP-based Ethernet (what we all know and love today with CAT5 twisted pair) and thin-coax based Ethernet (aka 10Base2). With DSL, it's store-and-forward, and if more than one computer wants to talk at the same time, the DSLAM, much like an Ethernet switch, just stores the extra packets until the appropriate line is open, then sends them on their way. With DOCSIS, if one computer is talking, all the others have to shut their mouths, otherwise, the two signals will overlap and create noise which the processors can't interpret. When this collision is detected, each modem waits some random amount of milliseconds, then attempts to transmit again. That's why just a handful of kids downloading torrents on cable can bring the entire neighborhood to a crawl, while DSL users don't even realize the rest of the neighborhood is watching "Avatar HD" at the same time.

So why don't we see DOCSIS coming to a crawl more often, and able to offer both higher baseline and "turbo" speeds? Because the tech behind coax cable makes it more efficient at transmitting gobs of data, while twisted pair telephone is, well, almost as old as the telephone itself.