GM recalls 300,000 Chevrolet Impalas

SpaceGhost

http://money.cnn.com/2010/10/15/autos/GM_Chevrolet_Impala_recall/index.htm?hpt=T2

By Hibah Yousuf, staff reporterOctober 15, 2010: 10:38 AM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- General Motors Co. said it is recalling 303,100 Chevrolet Impalas because the vehicles' front seat belts may not properly protect passengers.

The automaker said that in in 2009 and 2010 Impalas, the front safety belt straps may not be not secured to the lap belt anchor pretensioner that is mounted on the side of the doors.

The straps can separate from the anchor in a crash, no longer restraining the passenger. No injuries or deaths have been reported, GM said.

GM dealers will mail notifications to customers by Oct. 25 to bring in their cars for an inspection and if necessary, they will reinstall the seat belt anchors for free.

In June 2009, GM investigated nine reports of seat belt warranty repairs that noted the separation. GM initially believed that the condition was confined to models built between July 2008 and September 2008.

But after receiving additional reports, GM assigned a product investigation engineer to review the issue in July 2010. As of mid-August, the company had received 32 reports of seat belt straps separating from the anchors during vehicle use.

Um, it's a seatbelt issue, my intent for this thread is to educate owners. Not start a flame war, this is not in Romper room.

Is there anyone on here that actually went "damn that is a sweet car, I must have one"? I bet those are all fleet company owned, at least I hope so.

Is there anyone on here that actually went "damn that is a sweet car, I must have one"? I bet those are all fleet company owned, at least I hope so.

you would actually be suprised. They are good selling cars. They arent the most fun cars to drive or anything, but the SS's sure arent bad.

you would actually be suprised. They are good selling cars. They arent the most fun cars to drive or anything, but the SS's sure arent bad.

You can always sell a lot when you are the cheapest. If China would start selling cars here I bet GM would get hit the hardest.

Well, at least the throttle isnt sticking wide open! haha

A handful of old hippies not being able to figure out how their pedals work has less potential for death than 300,000+ cars with unsecured seatbelts.