WTB: Nice, sturdy, larger tent.

spankis

Anybody have a tent they would like to sell in good shape?

I currently have two 6 person tents I'm happy with, except for their stability in windy conditions. I do a lot of camping, and I spent this past weekend fishing on the Ohio River, and it got windy enough to basically fold up my tent multiple times. My temporary solution was to take the rainfly off and let the air blow through the screens. This worked, but if the same thing were to happen in a thunderstorm, I'd be screwed.

Specifically, I'd be interested in a larger frame-style (think military) tent, or a good quality conventional tent with aluminum poles. I think the fiberglass poles of my current tent are a big part of the problem. I'd be looking for something that 3 people could sleep in minimum, but the bigger the better.

Let me know, thanks.

We use the largest dome tent we could find. It's like 10-12' across. Anything but a dome is a pain to raise IMHO. Plus they are VERY sturdy. We camped on Kelly's island once and the campground was evacuated for a tornado warning. A tornado touched down on the island. When we got back...our tent and the campers were the only things not blown down or wrapped around trees. Here's an example...and the price isn't bad...

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-200-KELTY-Getaway-6-Person-DOME-TENT-11-7-x-8-/310262909366?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483d1c49b6

That looks very similar to the two I currently own. I think the fault is the fact that mine have fiberglass poles, which give and then let the tent collapse. I looked into buying aluminum or similar replacement poles, but they're not any too cheap and I'd have to cut them to length.

I think I found something for sale anyway, and I'm gonna go check it out this friday so we'll see. It's a giant frame tent that's still in the box and cheap enough that I don't mind if it doesn't quite work out.