LT1 fun

Richard Cranium

Well, we fucked up the water pump housing pressing the bearings out. The freeze plug that Mez packaged with the pump would not fit. Eric Grimes to the rescue. Grabbed another freeze plug from NAPA, he confirmed it was the correct size. Now it is pressed in and the weep hole has been plugged. Hopefully I'll have the pump mounted tonight. Then button everything back up and the car should be ready to go for Saturday.

We'll it's getting closer. Last night we hoped to have it all back together, but of course one thing after another went wrong. Went to mount the pump housing back on the block and noticed a bolt was missing. I did find it, but that burned 45 minutes of daylight. Then the replacement spark plug wire I had crimped came apart and we burned another hour recrimping the replacement wire. About the only thing we managed to get done was notch the fan shroud so it will clear the electric water pump.

Tonight we plan on getting all the plug wires back in place. Getting the hoses all back on the water pump, installing the electric motor on the pump and putting the fans back in. It should be doable as long as I don't run into any more unexpected problems.

We're almost there. I did fire the motor last night, so I think I'm good there. All that is left to do is wire the new water pump and re-install the K&N intake. The wiring has me stumped though. I obviously can handle the ground, but I really have no idea where to pull power from. I'll be home from work about 4 today and working on it then.

We're almost there. I did fire the motor last night, so I think I'm good there. All that is left to do is wire the new water pump and re-install the K&N intake. The wiring has me stumped though. I obviously can handle the ground, but I really have no idea where to pull power from. I'll be home from work about 4 today and working on it then.

I'll bet you've wired this already but I'd throw a relay in there and grab the fuel pump circuit to turn it on.

Yeah, I'm as ready for tomorrow as I can be. I did wire up the pump but I'm not using a switch or relay at this point. For tomorrow I will manually plug and unplug the pump. I'll put a relay in later, probably wire it to something that will activate as an accessory. Then I can switch the ignition to accessory and run the pump without the motor.