HID wont turn on

PeteS40

Just bought two 4" HID off road lights and so far i can only get one to turn on. The other just flickers and stops attempting to turn on. Theres power and i have a 20 fuse in which i recomended to run both. I did see that there is moisture in the lens in the one thats not turning on. Im new to these lights and im wondering if its a bad buld? any help much appriciated before i hit a moose.... and yes search returned no results..

Running back to CR from Alaska for help....

In my (limited) experience with my own cars, hid failures seem to be more commonly a ballast failure than a bulb failure. I also know they can be very sensitive to a weak or "dirty" power source. I would advise you run them directly off the battery, with a relay from whatever switch you're using before you go any further.

I also know that hid igniters, within the ballast, draw a ton of power at the initial fire then level off to a more reasonable load, so make sure you've got plenty of power. That means use heavy enough wire, a stout enough switch, and do your testing with the car running, rather than running off pure battery power.

Bulbs "cycle" when they are about to shit the bed. The only way to know for sure is to connect the bulb to your known good ballast. If it works, then that leaves the ballast or wiring. Moisture is not good, but I doubt it was behind your light failure, unless you have a fishbowl for a headlight

I usually see ballasts fail before bulbs. Bad ballasts can cause a bulb not to ignite properly as well. Out of the approx 20 hid kits I have sold I have yet to see a bulb fail, but I have seen ballasts fail.

Relay Harness's and Digital Ballasts are the best way to go about with an HID kit in my opinion. Safer too.