Good Wireless router

John Bruh

It doesn't matter if it says its for xp or vista, the operating system doesn't set the standard. All that matters is if your devices have a wireless b/g/n card. They will need wireless-n support to get 300mbps.

really because im on the phone with netgear and they say it does matter.

and it matters if its 32bit or 64

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+RangeMax+Wireless-N+Router+with+4-Port+Ethernet+Switch/9826302.p?id=1218179420063&skuId=9826302&st=netgear&contract_desc=null

Got this one last week. Works great. Strong signal in my house and I dont have to reset it like I did my POS linksys. Its Gigabit with NAS port built in and allows for multiple SSID's if you want to setup guest access to internet only. Picked this over the more expensive dual band bc i have no need to run two 300Mbps channels at the same time. If you want to run your 360 wireless on one channel and your laptop on another and not share bandwidth then there is another Netgear that runs about 150 on newegg or its 179 at BB. See below.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+RangeMax+Dual-Band+Wireless-N+Router+with+4-Port+Gigabit+Ethernet+Switch/9331403.p?id=1218089527534&skuId=9331403&st=netgear&cp=1&lp=4

Maybe for their shitty self setup cd they include, but if you just connect a device directly to the router and go through the web interface, it doesn't matter.

QFT. I think that's what they mean. Those setup cds are for dumb ass people who cant go through the web interface. 99.9% of the time you get to the web interface through the router default gateway IP. Just do a ipconfig in command prompt to find out the gateway and it should be smooth sailing from there. The default password and login can be found with a 10 sec google search if its not clearly outlined in your manual. The interface for them is all geared to be as easy to understand as possible. Unless you want to do more advanced things such as QoS level routing you should have a pretty easy time with the navigation and configuration. If you have questions just ask. I've setup hundreds of wireless networks at this point and there are much smarter people on here than me. We should be able to help you out.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+RangeMax+Wireless-N+Router+with+4-Port+Ethernet+Switch/9826302.p?id=1218179420063&skuId=9826302&st=netgear&contract_desc=null

Got this one last week. Works great. Strong signal in my house and I dont have to reset it like I did my POS linksys. Its Gigabit with NAS port built in and allows for multiple SSID's if you want to setup guest access to internet only. Picked this over the more expensive dual band bc i have no need to run two 300Mbps channels at the same time. If you want to run your 360 wireless on one channel and your laptop on another and not share bandwidth then there is another Netgear that runs about 150 on newegg or its 179 at BB. See below.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+RangeMax+Dual-Band+Wireless-N+Router+with+4-Port+Gigabit+Ethernet+Switch/9331403.p?id=1218089527534&skuId=9331403&st=netgear&cp=1&lp=4

Ok thats reasuring, I've been reading quite a few reviews that netgear stuff is absolute shit. But both of those seem to have pretty good ratings.

Unless you want to do more advanced things such as QoS level routing you should have a pretty easy time with the navigation and configuration. If you have questions just ask. I've setup hundreds of wireless networks at this point and there are much smarter people on here than me. We should be able to help you out.

What is QoS Level routing?

At this point I have no complaints. Compared with my linksys I have stronger signal from the same location in my house with the same equipment. My linksys got flakey after a few days and I had to reboot the router frequently. The NAS port is pretty cool. I hooked up a 1TB usb external to it and it was very easy to map to. Again, at this point for me its worked out nicely over my previous router. Is it the best out there, probably not. The features I got for the price made it very attractive. I think i actually picked it up on sale for 69.99 and had 20 bucks in rewards coupons.

Quality of Service. Certain protocols require more bandwidth than others. If you wanted to make sure your streaming video didnt get choppy while your other laptop is surfing the web you could set your router to get the video packets priority over the other packets. You could do it by protocols, you can do it by machines (give your laptop priority over your roommates for example)...there are several options.