Cell Phone Help!

Wease

Quick background: My wife and daughter are on Verizon, they both have the LG enV 3. They have a 700 shared minute plan, unlimited texting and pics, no internet. I get a 20% discount through my work, so the total cost is about $114 a month. Now me and my mother-in-law are are on Sprint, but our contract is about to expire next month. We've both got basic flip phones, 550 shared minutes, I have 250 texts, she has none. Costs me about $80 a month.

Now, I'd like to get us both on Verizon. I think. I basically want to do whatever will cost me the least amount of money per month. :) I will still get my mother-in-law the most basic phone I can, with no features or texting. She won't use them. However, I'm gonna be pissed if I have to pay some data plan bullshit on that phone. :mad:

Now with me, I'm just not sure what I want. Do I spring for a Smart Phone? I know I want something I can text with more easily and I actually do like my wife's LG for that. But if I'm going to spend the same amount on a data plan for a Droid or simple texting phone like the LG, why not just get the Droid?

I haven't been in the Verizon store yet. I also want to know what's the best approach to take here. I've heard that it's better to buy the phone online and go from there. Any truth to that?

Help me out, guys... :)

You need to get a smart phone. I was rolling with a step above basic phones for years - once you get a Droid/iPhone you will never want to go back.

Check to see what your discounts are with other providers too. Janet got a steeper discount through AT&T than we previously did with Verizon - and they offered us a lower cost plan as well than Verizon did. We could go even cheaper with Sprint, but their service is so awful I wouldn't take it for free (I have Sprint through work).

700 talk and text (unlimited messaging for everyone on the plan and 700 min) is 80 for the primary and 9.99 for an additional line. 4 lines would put you at 110 before discounts. If you need more minutes 130 would get you 1400 mins and friends and family (10 numbers you can call just like they were VZW)

The discount only applies to the primary line btw.

smartphones will cost you 15 pr month for 150 MB but I would recommend unlimited data for 29.99. Totally recommend fascinate if you don't care about a keyboard and droid2 if you need a physical keyboard just like what JaSSon said.

Just move onto your wifes plan and up the minutes to 1400. I think Verizon has a 1400 min plan or something close to it. 30 dollars unlimited text for the family.

If you buy the phone on Amazon you can join Verizon and not sign a 2 year contract because you have "Customer Owned Equipment". Don't let them tell you that you'll need to do a 1 year at a minimum, some sales associates will do that.

I don't know how Verizon discounts work but I know most of the time they only apply to the rate plan and any feature over xxx dollars.

If you buy the phone on Amazon you can join Verizon and not sign a 2 year contract because you have "Customer Owned Equipment". Don't let them tell you that you'll need to do a 1 year at a minimum, some sales associates will do that.

So if I buy the phone on Amazon, how do I add it to the plan? Do I have to go into the store? :confused:

So if I buy the phone on Amazon, how do I add it to the plan? Do I have to go into the store? :confused:

You can have your wife call in and do it (She's the account holder) or take it into the store, (she'll need to be with you/ have you added onto the account as an authorized user) whatever is easiest for you.

All they'll need is the serial number off the back of the phone, I think Verizon is MEID number or something like that.

EDIT: I don't know if you want a 2 year contract, but if you take your own equipment in you can avoid signing any contract at all. Just stress that when you call/ go in.

You can have your wife call in and do it (She's the account holder) or take it into the store, (she'll need to be with you/ have you added onto the account as an authorized user) whatever is easiest for you.

All they'll need is the serial number off the back of the phone, I think Verizon is MEID number or something like that.

EDIT: I don't know if you want a 2 year contract, but if you take your own equipment in you can avoid signing any contract at all. Just stress that when you call/ go in.

I was thinking of getting whatever free phone they have for my mother-in-law. But whatever I buy on Amazon, it has to be a phone they support at Verizon, right?

I was thinking of getting whatever free phone they have for my mother-in-law. But whatever I buy on Amazon, it has to be a phone they support at Verizon, right?

And yes, whatever phone you get on Amazon will have to be supported by Verizon. Check out Phonescoop.com if you have to double check on any of that.

If you're looking for a smartphone look at the Samsung Fascinate first in my opinion. If you don't like it you still have the Incredible and X which are both good smartphones as well.

And yes, whatever phone you get on Amazon will have to be supported by Verizon. Check out Phonescoop.com if you have to double check on any of that.

If you're looking for a smartphone look at the Samsung Fascinate first in my opinion. If you don't like it you still have the Incredible and X which are both good smartphones as well.

OK, so this is what I see for my best option:

1. Buy supported phone on Amazon.

2. Bring phone to Verizon store, upgrade my plan, and add phone to the plan.

3. Get cheap phone for mother-in-law

And I'll still get my 20% discount on all of this. Sound about right? :)

OK, so this is what I see for my best option:

1. Buy supported phone on Amazon.

2. Bring phone to Verizon store, upgrade my plan, and add phone to the plan.

3. Get cheap phone for mother-in-law

And I'll still get my 20% discount on all of this. Sound about right? :)

Yes, spot on.

Another question:

So I wouldn't have a contract with my phone? Would it be just pay as you go?

Thanks for all the help, by the way... :)

Yes, it would be pay as you go but not like a go phone.

The only reason behind the contracts is because you're purchasing a 500 something dollar smartphone for a discounted rate of ~200 dollars when you sign a contract. They want to tie you down for 2 years to make up for the loss on that phone.

By taking in your own equipment that's not something they have to worry about losing money on so you can sign up for month to month.

OK, are the Smart Phones supposed to be cheaper on Amazon? If I want the Fascinate, it says it's $600. Would be like $200 after the mail in rebate, but it's a 2 year agreement... :(

No one is going to sell you a $600 phone for $40. Including amazon. In order to use the link I posted you have to be out of contract, ie: eligible for your 2 year upgrade or opening a new line. To get amazon's discount pricing you have to sign a 2 year contract with VZW. Since you're starting a new line you're eligible.

Edit: Doh! "Add a line(new contract) to your family account" is coming soon.

I have had no issues. And we got it a lot cheaper than we could with Verizon. :)

Agree, I watch NFL games all over Columbus over 3G. This sunday I drove from Delaware to the campus area watching my lions over 3G and it never stopped or stuttered. The network will get even better when the masses migrate to Verizon and crowd up their network. I don't talk on the phone much like some of the women on here must, but anytime I get or make a call it works. AT&T's 3G has come a long way in Ohio since 2008. I have noticed full bars of 3G in places in Ohio recently that were previously Edge.