Five HDMI cables for $6.79 shipped

Buck531

Lol and you blew off a free one and didnt even tell me you didn't want it.

Yeah I know. You were traveling at the time and my son kept nagging me to get one. I got one, and he said he didn't really notice a difference. Go figure. :rolleyes:

How the hell is it possible for an HDMI cable to cost 3 bucks from sites like this, but upwards of $50 for a single cable in stores????

There are different versions of HDMI cables, 1.4 being the latest. Also there are ones that will carry more bandwidth than others. HDMI 1.3 can carry anything from 2gbps and up to 10gbps. When I got my 3D TV I had to make sure I had above 7GBPS I think in order for it to work, luckily I didn't go cheap on my cables to begin with and I was fine. You basically need a cable that can run 1080p x 2. HDMI 1.4 includes ethernet capabilities.

I don't see anywhere on that site where they say how much bandwidth those can carry, for that cheap I'm guessing its not very much.

There are different versions of HDMI cables, 1.4 being the latest. Also there are ones that will carry more bandwidth than others. HDMI 1.3 can carry anything from 2gbps and up to 10gbps. When I got my 3D TV I had to make sure I had above 7GBPS I think in order for it to work, luckily I didn't go cheap on my cables to begin with and I was fine. You basically need a cable that can run 1080p x 2. HDMI 1.4 includes ethernet capabilities.

I don't see anywhere on that site where they say how much bandwidth those can carry, for that cheap I'm guessing its not very much.

Ah ha! So does this also affect picture quality?? I don't know if the two I bought yesterday are 1.4 or not. I didn't know what to look for. They were $27 each @ 6ft.

Ah ha! So does this also affect picture quality?? I don't know if the two I bought yesterday are 1.4 or not. I didn't know what to look for. They were $27 each @ 6ft.

It can effect picture quality, but I bet you got 10gbps ones which are good.

That doesn't really answer the question, though. From bucd's site, here's a 10 foot 1.4 cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10250&cs_id=1025008&p_id=6106&seq=1&format=3#specification

for $4.

The real answer is that every brick & mortar store in this country has some fucked up pricing scheme that keeps it in operation. Gas stations basically give away gas at cost and make their profits selling coke at a 1000% markup. Staples sells office supplies on a volume basis and then makes their money on printer cartridges and shit. Best Buy sells most of their big electronics at a pretty thin profit margin and then makes a ton of money on cable sales. Expensive cables is what keeps that store in business.

Even knowing that cables are a ripoff, consumers will still buy them in the store rather than wait for shipping. I know I have. I've never ponied up $50, but I've knowingly paid too much. And I'm an informed consumer, most people just think that a 6' HDMI cable is supposed to cost $40.

At the end of the day I guess it all works out in our favor, but I'd still somehow prefer a perfect world where Best Buy made the same profit margin on a 60" flatscreen as they do on a 6' cable. But cheap flatscreens is what gets bodies in the store, so I don't think anything's gonna change soon.

I would have sold you one of my 6" for half that. :lol: I bought to 30" cable at micro center with someones employee discount for $24 including tax. Find someone that works there and have them give you a hookup. I think 6" there go for 3 or 4 bucks with the discount.

Don't fall for the expensive cables are better bullshit. 6' length and below, any non-garbage cable will run whatever bandwidth you will need. The concern really only starts coming into play at above the 6' mark, something most folks will never deal with.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/long-hdmi-cable-bench-tests/hdmi-cable-testing-results