Friday is payday...

unfunnyryan

Which means Saturday is new gun day!

I'm looking for a 12 gauge shotgun. Specifically, a mossberg 500 or remington 870.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of both? Heres the exact two I'm looking at.

http://www.vanceoutdoors.com/products2.cfm/ID/42587/name/remington-arms-870-express-synthetic-25077

http://www.vanceoutdoors.com/products2.cfm/ID/66428/name/mossberg-m500-12ga-pump-parkerized-18`bbl

Ive posted before, ive had 2 seperate mossberg 500s where the shell stop malfunctioned. One was a newer 12ga, other was an older 20ga...basically, 1 in chamber, 2 in the tube. Fired the shot pumped the forearm, shell stop released the shell too soon, when the arm came down to grab the new shell, it actually pushed it right out the bottom, and i had an empty chamber when i thought i had a round ready to fire

I thought it was odd and had it fixed on my dads (the 20ga), but when it happened on a friends 12ga when we were deer hunting, it pissed me off.

On the other hand, i havent had any issues with my 870, and ive had it since i was about 13. Just a reliable gun all around. I love it

I own both.

My 12ga. M500 has a rifled barrel and is used for deer hunting only. It's had a total of, maybe, 30rd put through it. 30rd. isn't much of a round count to assess reliability, so all I can really say at this point is that it's been flawless. Take it for what it's worth. I have no real complaints with it at this point. The trigger is a bit heavy, but can be worked over if you're into tinkering. Fit and finish is what I'd expect for a $300 gun. Cycles smooth enough. I don't regret the purchase and it serves it's purpose.

My 12ga. 870 gets the shit used out of it. It's the exact model you have linked. It has had one glaring problem with it since I bought it. Remington get a bit over zealous with that shitty matte coating they put on them now. The problem is/was, they got said coating inside the chamber, making for some very tight tolerances. It would load a shell just fine, but when you fired it and it expanded, it would wedge itself in there making it very difficult to eject. When I first go it, I'd have to slam the butt on the ground to get it to dislodge. I wasn't very impressed with having to do this, especially considering the 870s reputation. It loosened up over time w/ use, but I got tired of it, and went to town on it with some steel wool to remove the rest of the coating. It now cycles great. One other problem with the shitting coating is that it's not much of a coating at all. If you're not careful with it, it'll rust in a minute. Again, I'm not impressed with that. Remington could have done better, IMO.

Overall, I like both guns. They were cheap enough, and both serve their own purpose. My 870 has been the only problematic one, and though it wasn't really a big problem, it shouldn't have happened with some proper QC in place.

Anyways, that's my opinion. It's also my opinion that the pistol grip that comes with the M500 should go straight into the trashcan when/if you get it.

I've had Mossbergs and a Benelli. Personally, I kick my own ass for selling the Benelli, but I didn't really need it at the time. My personal experiences with Mossbergs for the most part has been related with the Army. We used the M500's for our "door knockers" and they ran flawlessly. Unlike the some of the civilian models, ours had a metal trigger guard and safety. Kicked like a mule when knocking door hinges off with a pistol grip, but that was its only job, minus if I didn't have time to transition after entering a house.

As Austin said, word on the block is the new Remington 870's have had a few issues. From what I've heard, they're worried about numbers and not the quality like they used to. I plan to pick an 870 up from a pawn shop to be sent to Wilson Combat for their Remington Steal package.

I think bang for buck, the Mossberg 590A1 is a steal (The M500's for that matter aswell). Granted, I've been interested in Winchester's Defender X. Did a little read up on them, and from what I've read, the Winchesters are rock solid. Not to mention they chrome line their bores like Benelli does. It's almost like a Chevy VS Ford debate when it comes down to Mossberg VS Remington. I'm used to the Mossbergs, but I like the action of the Remingtons. Like most weapons, there is a slew of tacticool goodies for both if you're headed that direction with it.

My 12ga. 870 gets the shit used out of it. It's the exact model you have linked. It has had one glaring problem with it since I bought it. Remington get a bit over zealous with that shitty matte coating they put on them now. The problem is/was, they got said coating inside the chamber, making for some very tight tolerances. It would load a shell just fine, but when you fired it and it expanded, it would wedge itself in there making it very difficult to eject. When I first go it, I'd have to slam the butt on the ground to get it to dislodge. I wasn't very impressed with having to do this, especially considering the 870s reputation. It loosened up over time w/ use, but I got tired of it, and went to town on it with some steel wool to remove the rest of the coating. It now cycles great. One other problem with the shitting coating is that it's not much of a coating at all. If you're not careful with it, it'll rust in a minute. Again, I'm not impressed with that. Remington could have done better, IMO.

Thanks, so far I'm really leaning towards the 870. The stuck in the bore problem sounds like the baked on cosmoline problem with mosins. Just a dremel polisher and a bit of borebrite and problem be gone!

This gun will be having lots of sexy time with me on sunday.

Like most weapons, there is a slew of tacticool goodies for both if you're headed that direction with it.

Just a flashlight. Its the only sight you need on a shotgun ;)

SOG (southern Ohio Guns) has some 870 Express shotguns for sale for $219!

They have the 18" barrel and have been sitting on racks at a prison for years - not new but hardly used. Best buy I've seen in a while on these great shotguns.