"winter" insurance

Sully

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NO.

You must carry liability insurance to drive a vehicle in Ohio. If you are sent a form from the BMV and you let them know the car is in storage, all that is needed is comprehensive. Call and ask.

Not true. You sign a form stating that in order to have this vehicle registered in the state of ohio you have to carry liability insurance. Went through this last year with my grandpa's vehicles. You have to turn in your plates to do that.

You must carry liability insurance to drive a vehicle in Ohio. If you are sent a form from the BMV and you let them know the car is in storage, all that is needed is comprehensive. Call and ask.

I'm going to agree with this guy, seeing as how that's what my insurance company has always told me

I have talked to both the state and my insurance company about this. I wouldn't be so adamant if I wasn't positive I was right.

so have I. The state law even states that EVERY registered vehicle must carry proof of financial responsibility. You were told wrong.

Ohio defines seasonal vehicles as

(1) motorcycles, (2) mopeds, (3) golf carts, (4) all-purpose vehicles (e.g., snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles), and (5) noncommercial trailers that are used seasonally

Ohio law requires financial responsibility in the minimum amount of $12,500 for bodily injury to or death of one (1) individual in any one (1) accident, $25,000 for bodily injury to or death of two (2) or more individuals in any one (1) accident, and $7,500 for injury to the property of others in any one (1) accident. This being if you are driving the car.

If you want to garage the car you can drop down to comprehensive only. You can still keep the plates on and you have to have it registered regardless. But if you drive that car out of the garage with comp only you are driving uninsured. The only way around this is to purchase an umbrella policy with extra liability coverage over all your existing policies (auto, fire home, whatever).

Every registered vehicle must carry proof of financial responsibility, yes. I don't know what the difference is between comp and storage, but I do know that it is legal to have a car registered without having liability. Like Mensan explained, you just can't drive the car without liability.

Ohio law requires financial responsibility in the minimum amount of $12,500 for bodily injury to or death of one (1) individual in any one (1) accident, $25,000 for bodily injury to or death of two (2) or more individuals in any one (1) accident, and $7,500 for injury to the property of others in any one (1) accident. This being if you are driving the car.

If you want to garage the car you can drop down to comprehensive only. You can still keep the plates on and you have to have it registered regardless. But if you drive that car out of the garage with comp only you are driving uninsured. The only way around this is to purchase an umbrella policy with extra liability coverage over all your existing policies (auto, fire home, whatever).

That's what my grandpa did was change his umbrella around.

Every registered vehicle must carry proof of financial responsibility, yes. I don't know what the difference is between comp and storage, but I do know that it is legal to have a car registered without having liability. Like Mensan explained, you just can't drive the car without liability.

If they send you a letter and your vehicle is not what is defined as a seasonal vehicle, you are fucked.

so have I. The state law even states that EVERY registered vehicle must carry proof of financial responsibility. You were told wrong.

Nope. Sorry. You're wrong, and I'm better. :p

Yes.

This is right off the website:

The owner may submit evidence to show that the vehicle is exempt because the vehicle:

* Is used on a seasonal basis only and the date specified is out of season for that vehicle;

* Is inoperable and has been out of service for a period of at least 30 days immediately prior to the selection date or;

* Is exempt for any other reason as approved by the Registrar.

This actually states that you have to have liability if randomly audited. So, if you are not audited you are fine :lol:

which is the form you sign when getting your tags. That you agree to carry liability while the car is registered and that you agree to the random checks.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4503.20

4503.20 Application for registration to contain statement regarding proof of financial responsibility.

Section B

Sub (1) States that the applicant maintains, or has maintained on the applicant’s behalf, proof of financial responsibility at the time of application, and will not operate a motor vehicle in this state, unless the applicant maintains, with respect to that motor vehicle or the operation of such vehicle, proof of financial responsibility;

/thread

This actually states that you have to have liability if randomly audited. So, if you are not audited you are fine :lol:

It also states as an exception

"Is used on a seasonal basis only and the date specified is out of season for that vehicle"

Proof of comp only coverage from your insurance agent plus proof that it is in a garage should be good enough. I guess if they wanted to be a dick they could request more from you.

Section 4509.101 of the Ohio Revised Code prohibits a individual from operating a motor vehicle in Ohio without maintaining proof of FR continuously throughout the registration period with respect to that vehicle, or, in the case of a driver who is not the owner, with respect to that driver's operation of that vehicle. The law requires financial responsibility in the minimum amount of $12,500 for bodily injury to or death of one (1) individual in any one (1) accident, $25,000 for bodily injury to or death of two (2) or more individuals in any one (1) accident, and $7,500 for injury to the property of others in any one (1) accident.

It also states as an exception

"Is used on a seasonal basis only and the date specified is out of season for that vehicle"

Proof of comp only coverage from your insurance agent plus proof that it is in a garage should be good enough. I guess if they wanted to be a dick they could request more from you.

Seasonal is defined in the fee waiver. as (1) motorcycles, (2) mopeds, (3) golf carts, (4) all-purpose vehicles (e.g., snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles), and (5) noncommercial trailers that are used seasonally.

That is what we were told this past January. If your vehicle is not one of those, it is not seasonal.

In other words, Ohio went ahead and screwed the pooch on seasonal vehicles as stated in the FR code by defining what a seasonal vehicle is in another law. That is why this year insurance companies are telling people they need to carry liability.