"winter" insurance

Sully

Umbrella policies are a very good choice for most people. I recommend them if you can afford the premiums.

+1

They aren't that expensive if you already have the stacked discounts by bringing everything under 1 company. They do generally require you carry their higher tier of coverage on the cars though.

House/ Multi Car/ Umbrella/ ect. My umbrella policy was VERY reasonable.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seasonal is defined in the fee waiver. as (1) motorcycles, (2) mopeds, (3) golf carts, (4) all-purpose vehicles (e.g., snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles), and (5) noncommercial trailers that are used seasonally.

That is what we were told this past January. If your vehicle is not one of those, it is not seasonal.

Why would my insurance company allow me to put storage insurance on a Chevrolet Camaro, and not mention anything to me about needing to get rid of the plates?

Why would my insurance company allow me to put storage insurance on a Chevrolet Camaro, and not mention anything to me about needing to get rid of the plates?

maybe because they don't know. I think it was snuck in with the late fee law. My insurer knew all about it.

In other words, Ohio went ahead and screwed the pooch on seasonal vehicles as stated in the FR code by defining what a seasonal vehicle is in another law. That is why this year insurance companies are telling people they need to carry liability.

Oh, wait a second...is it new this year?

Alright I work for an insurance company. Here is some information from our underwriting manual for Ohio. I don't want to plagiarize so I changed some of the wording. Also other companies will have different rules ;) I must be bored. FYI CA, CO and NM are the only states we have to advise insured to visit their DMV regarding state registration requirements and options for vehicles without liability and/or not being operated.

Comp only may be selected if a customer only wants to carry comprehensive coverage on a vehicle. Generally, this is due to putting a vehicle in storage, and liability and collision coverage are not needed. Comp Only still provides the customer with coverage for fire, theft or damage by any of the named perils under Other Than Collision.

Onlly allow 1 request per year and comp only not allowed on motorhomes. Antique and classic vehicles can not have comp only. Comp only requests for RV's should be referred to underwriter for approval before processing. Exception Comp only on golf cart OK. At least one vehicle must have liability coverage unless underwriter approves. Exception if there is only one vehicle on the policy and vehicle will be stored and driver will be military deployed OK.

If vehicle currently carries liability only and insured wants to change to comp only refer to underwriter. Towing or Roadside Assistance, Full Glass and OEM should be left on, unless requested to remove from insured. Coverage should only be used for long term storage. If an insured wants to change a vehicle to comp only for only a few days deny. Vehicle with Loss Payee: Advise insured the Loss Payee may place forced coverage on vehicle and to check with the Loss Payee to see if they require Collision coverage on the vehicle. If the insured still wants to go Comp Only OK.

I called the BMV today. She said that if the car is in storage for the winter, it's considered a seasonal vehicle and does NOT need insurance. She said you have to have, at the minimum, liability when you drive the car. She also said that if you receive the random letter, you just need proof from your insurance company that you carry insurance during the driving season.

I called my insurance company, told them what the BMV told me, and dropped my coverage to Comp only.