Blower speed varies - 04 Impala

TA In Progress

Just as the title says, when I have the blower on the speed is not constant, especially at the higher speeds. Everything else in the HVAC works as advertised and the blower works on all speed settings, but it surges. I'm thinking it's the blower control module under the dash, but was wondering if anyone had any experience with this on a similar GM before. Thanks for the help!

Just as the title says, when I have the blower on the speed is not constant, especially at the higher speeds. Everything else in the HVAC works as advertised and the blower works on all speed settings, but it surges. I'm thinking it's the blower control module under the dash, but was wondering if anyone had any experience with this on a similar GM before. Thanks for the help!

Sounds like a resistor is going bad, or the motor itself is failing and drawing to many amps.

Sounds like a resistor is going bad, or the motor itself is failing and drawing to many amps.

doesn't have a resistor.

sounds like it needs a blower motor control processor. its hard to test because GM doesn't have a test for something like a surge. its basically testing with a part and its either try the processor or the head control module.

doesn't have a resistor.

sounds like it needs a blower motor control processor. its hard to test because GM doesn't have a test for something like a surge. its basically testing with a part and its either try the processor or the head control module.

so the blower motor speed is controlled by its own microchip?...Interesting. (Don't most Caddy's use the same technology?) *has a theory on the source of the problem*

Now that you mention it I believe most Cadillac blower motors are controlled by a microchip within the motor. If ignition wires contact the blower motor (or even come close) the interference can severally affect the motor's operation (and often times lead to it's failure). Not sure if the blower motor is located near the ignition wires on an '04 Impala but it's def. something worth looking into. Edited by acklac7

doesn't have a resistor.

Thanks man, this reinforces what I had in mind. The blower control module is considerably cheaper also, so I'll try that first.

Now that you mention it I believe most Cadillac blower motors are controlled by a microchip within the motor. If ignition wires contact the blower motor (or even come close) the interference can severally affect the motor's operation (and often times lead to it's failure). Not sure if the blower motor is located near the ignition wires on an '04 Impala but it's def. something worth looking into.

Blower is under the dash.