hand gun advice... revolver or semi auto??

accel_is_my_drug

Okay so you weren't solely talking about loss of elasticity with regards to the spring failing. Got it.

To add to the thread subject. I would choose something big since you don't plan on carrying it. Full size revolver in .357mag, or .44mag if it is controllable. For semi-autos, something large caliber and high capacity. Glock 22 or 21 would be the cheapest, then M&P40 or 45. More expensive but the FNP45 is very attractive for its features (14 rounds of .45acp!).

I can't really stand shooting Glocks though, or anything double action so I'm not sure. You may feel the same so like others have said, try anything out before you actually get it.

Edited by Furloaf

I have both a revolver and a semi-auto on top of a shotgun. For home defense/safety my money goes:

1. Dog

2. Security System

3. Shotgun

4. Revolver

5. Semi-Auto

I could go either way on 4 or 5, I'm just more comfy leaving the .357 loaded vs a clip and it's the gun I've been shooting the longest and most comfortable with. Truth or Fiction in terms of springs, I don't need more than the six shots in our handgun. If I do, I deserve to be dead.

Your call really. Shotgun has my vote though.

notice austin with all your math I didn't say the spring could lose its elasticity i said it could fail, springs break all the time in all kinds of different applications.

I'd wager it was a manufacturing defect rather than a failure from being compressed for a month. I'd also bet that it'd have broken under normal use if you had continued to load and unload it as you normally do.

Okay so you weren't solely talking about loss of elasticity with regards to the spring failing. Got it.

all i can figure is that after being compressed for a long period of time the sudden relase of energy when the mag started to feed caused the spring to break.

just leaving it loaded up won't do shit to the spring as far as how it works unless it fails and by fail I mean snap into two pieces

all i can figure is that after being compressed for a long period of time the sudden relase of energy when the mag started to feed caused the spring to break.

just leaving it loaded up won't do shit to the spring as far as how it works unless it fails and by fail I mean snap into two pieces

Never have i ever heard of this... I leave mine loaded.. Police leave there guns loaded..Cheap clip could be your answer

Don't be too quick to deny this incredibly common misconception. If an improper metal is used for a spring (ie: NOT spring steel) then constant compression will likely cause it to fail or suffer degraded lifespan/performance. Super cheap chinese mags may use improper/shitty metals, so it is entirely possible for this to happen, although very unlikely. ;)

the act of a spring going back and forth between being compressed and uncompressed is what wears them. Simply staying in one state has no effect.

I've noticed nobody ever questions whether or not it can wear the spring the in mag tube of a home defense shotgun that is left loaded all the time.