WRX Owners: Would you do it all over again?

Nate1647545505

So I've been eyeing 02-08 WRX's for a daily, and would like to hear from WRX owners past and present. I'm to old to mod (aside from an exhaust, intake, and of course tune) and at this stage of my life, just want a capable but comfortable sedan that can get to and from where I need to go. Would like to hear all of your experiences, good and bad, with the car.

I found my WRX comfortable, my STi a bit bumpy, that being said, I'm hoping and planning on buying my 5th WRX, a 2011 STi Limited. My wife and I have walked away from 3 accidents that totaled all 3 cars. Not a single injury other than a bruise. My last accident Saturday was a crash involving 9 cars at 65+ MPH. I bruised my hand. Saturday's accident was the first time any glass broke in a wreck I have owned in a WRX, the passenger air bag cracked the windshield. I haven't even been cut in a WRX. Every WRX I have owned has been reliable even my Stage 2 02 Bugeye I drove to 50k miles before some one t-boned it, other than me breaking parts of the car trying my mechanical skills that are clearly terrible, most maintenance on my STi over 6 years was; gas, oil, filters, brakes, rotors, ,belts, tires, Coolant changes, Spark plugs, 1 new battery after 5 years, 1 idler pulley went bad, differential oil changes, car washes and Details form Andy. My STi was Protuned by Tim Bailey at 17K miles and put down 300/330AWHP on IPS dyno, I finally hit 12.90 in the quarter just a month ago, and the car sits at 90k now dead from a major accident. It was very reliable, and started right up on mornings that were -8F air temp, I have pics of the outside temp display that day. Car drove to chicago and many places around Ohio. My wife currently still has her 05 WRX wagon, and I can't remember ever having to take it in for even 1 thing to be fixed under warranty. I will be doing the timing belt soon on her car, I did one on my STi feb 2010. The only drawback to a Subaru I can think of is the lack of good customer service at either Byers Mazda Subaru, and lack of Mechanics (1 full time, 1 part time) at Byers Imports. Hatfield is a pretty far drive for me (New Albany).

Do not, I repeat do not waste your time with an 08. If you're gonna go that new, at least get an 09. That way you've got the bigger turbo stock, the 08 premium appearance package standard, and a better suspension. That being said, I absolutely love my car for a daily. In the summer I was getting 30mpg on the freeway, and its doing great in the snow so far.

I am driving my 4th Subaru this winter, love them to death. I haven't owned one for very long for personal reasons of buying/selling cars, but I will ALWAYS make sure to have one for when the snow flies. I own 2 Impreza Wagons right now and 1 I believe I will end up keeping for some time once I get a motor in it.

Gotta say it, but having driven so many cars here at the shop in the snow nothing compares to a Subaru in the snow. Sorry Quattro and Jeep guys.....

I am driving my 4th Subaru this winter, love them to death. I haven't owned one for very long for personal reasons of buying/selling cars, but I will ALWAYS make sure to have one for when the snow flies. I own 2 Impreza Wagons right now and 1 I believe I will end up keeping for some time once I get a motor in it.

Gotta say it, but having driven so many cars here at the shop in the snow nothing compares to a Subaru in the snow. Sorry Quattro and Jeep guys.....

If I recall, a JEEP pulled you off of a snow pile last year.

:confused:

I own three Subarus; '07 STI, '03 WRX, '07 Legacy spec.B. I love them all. In stock trims the Imprezas are much nimbler cars due to their smaller size. But this Legacy is just a really comfortable ride. Heated seats, nice stereo, etc. I bought it to be my DD since the other two aren't suitable anymore for various reasons. And I'm really happy with the purchase, and I'm looking forward to my trip out to MA even more.

So yeah, I'd do it all over again happily.

A couple notes:

If you're set on an Impreza and are thinking of a WRX, as above, avoid the '08s. They were kind of a "in-between" year and the offerings before and after were much better.

The legacy will be a much more comfortable daily. 05+ GT is the Turbo model. I would recommend the 08-09 or the '11+ as the '10 was a first-year car.

Subaru's Nav is a waste of $$. I hate to say it, but my little base-model Garmin GPS is a better unit. And the extra info displays are really pointless and are redundant with the instrument cluster. I wish I had the cubby hole in my Legacy where my Nav is, to be honest.

My WRX was not as "special" as my other cars have been, and was almost a little boring on the daily commute (besides the lovely turbo sound, of course), but one thing I will say is that the car did everything it was supposed to do, and it did it very well, which is something I cannot say about many other cars on the road. As far as spirited driving goes, in my MRS driving on a twisty road felt like me and the car were becoming one with the curves and finding a fast line, in the WRX it felt like the car was saying, "screw you twisty road, I've got AWD and a turbo to kick your ass with."