Why horsepower doesn't matter!

Comebackkid

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but all you have in your sig is 500+whp civic, why no tq# if hp doesn't matter

My tq was 368 and I didn't do the quote right. I didn't say tq don't matter, I just thought it was a interesting read. :bangbang:

Edited by Comebackkid

gearing doesnt create torque, it just amplifies it.

amplifying, creating, same shit - you're mincing words. my point is, it doesn't matter what the torque output of your engine is, you can make as much torque as you want with shorter gearing. An electric motor with 1/1000th of a ft pound can create 10,000,000 foot pounds with a big enough gear reduction. If torque was all that mattered you could put that in any car and go super fast, right?

Torque deffinately plays a huge roll in how a car performs, but do i think its the end all, no.

ultimately the most important thing is torque, at the wheels, at a certain speed. Horsepower is a nice way to summarize this.

Like alot of guys have said, usually the higher up you can carry the tq curve the better off you will be.

yeah, because the same torque at a higher rpm is more power.

Take my car for example. I had always heard tq gets you moving, hp keeps you moving and the more power you have, the higher you will trap.

I've heard a million variations on this. Its some good ole' boy hearsay, there's no truth to that whatsoever. torque does all the work. F=ma, its that simple. power at the engine represents your ability to create torque at the wheels at a vehicle speed. more power means more torque at higher speed.

Problem with that is, my car made about 226 whp at 5900 rpm and 237 tq at about 4600 rpm. My car is a beast off the line (1.82 60' at trails), but it wont trap for shit.

you probably have a short first gear, short rear end, good tires, making lots of torque at the wheels in the lower gears. but at the end of the day 226hp is kind of low and you cant make enough torque at the wheels at high speed to get a good trap.

ps. im drunk but most of this shit i think is still true. if its noit ill fix it tomorrow.

The way I always heard it was "Horsepower is how fast you can hit the wall, but torque controls how far you take the wall with you"

no.

too many people make decisions off of stupid backwoods sayings (see this whole thread). try to understand the actual physics behind this stuff.