WTB Old Record Player//Turntable

hot_wire

As the title says, I'm trying to get into playing some vinyl (found some records in my parents basement) and I'm looking for a starter turntable. Anybody have an old one collecting dust in their basement?

Looking for a technics, pioneer, dual or anything that was of decent quality "back in the day."

Anybody got one?

Trying to spend about $40, but could be flexible for the right table.

I'll have to check but I think I have an old Technics direct drive. Definitely was top notch in its time, and still today frankly. It's in the parents basement so ill look when over there this week.

Sounds like exactly what I was looking for! Let me know if its still there && what you would like to get for it!

I know you're looking for an older, better unit, but they aren't too expensive for new.

Yeah I've looked at some of the modern usb turntables. However, all of my audio friends say that the sound quality is nothing like the vintage ones. Considering that my system is oldschool (Cerwin Vega D-9's and an old Onkyo amp) I'm stickin with that theme.

Yeah I've looked at some of the modern usb turntables. However, all of my audio friends say that the sound quality is nothing like the vintage ones. Considering that my system is oldschool (Cerwin Vega D-9's and an old Onkyo amp) I'm stickin with that theme.

The quality of sound is dependent more on the quality of the needle you're using. a more modern table will give you better options in terms of high quality sound, and have many features to enhance sound quality that old ones don't, such as anti-skating tonearms (which improve sound quality and decrease the amount of wear on your vinyl)

source: my audiophile roommate who worked at Progressive Audio for 3 years

The quality of sound is dependent more on the quality of the needle you're using. a more modern table will give you better options in terms of high quality sound, and have many features to enhance sound quality that old ones don't, such as anti-skating tonearms (which improve sound quality and decrease the amount of wear on your vinyl)

source: my audiophile roommate who worked at Progressive Audio for 3 years

Cool to know. I think I'm still hunting vintage though - especially since I'm just searching for a starter table and won't be using it as my primary audio source. I really don't know much about turntables, but I have heard that the needle makes a big difference.

Side note: Progressive Audio is incredibly baller. I could live in there.

Side note: Progressive Audio is incredibly baller. I could live in there.

I found out recently that a VERY distant relative used to own it, Stephen Ranney. Ever been up to the top floor? They have a pair of $16,000 speakers sporting Ferrari's Rosso Corsa paint. Also when I heard them it sounded like I was sitting in-studio listening to Hendrix jam.

I found out recently that a VERY distant relative used to own it, Stephen Ranney. Ever been up to the top floor? They have a pair of $16,000 speakers sporting Ferrari's Rosso Corsa paint. Also when I heard them it sounded like I was sitting in-studio listening to Hendrix jam.

It's been a few years since I've stopped by. Can't specifically remember those, but I do remember some incredible sound.

This is the place on High by the Wexner right? Always thought it was some kind of front for drugs or something because they never looked open when I walked by. Wish I would've stopped in now.

Getting into vinyl is great though, vinyl sales have more than doubled from what they were a few years ago. If you're into newer music, a lot of bands offer vinyls for a good price that include MP3 download codes too. Best of both worlds. It can be addicting though, I've picked up over 80 records in the last couple years.

not to over top the op, if he doesn't jump on it i also have interest in old tables. although i may be a lil more picky. also if anyone has a old technics 1200 i would defiantly be interested. or thorens or marantz.

oh also those usb ones are crap but there are good new ones out there for decent price. if you get into some of the old vintage players you would be well served to pick up a copy of the original manual. i'm lucky here my cousin owns a very successful record store. i buy alot of my vinyl there.

Edited by Spidey2721