Building a bastard AR-15

unfunnyryan

So I've convinced myself an AR-15 is something I need to have, despite everyone else having one. I've also realized I could build one for pretty cheap by buying a mix of all the parts on armslist. I don't need to shoot 3 moa groups at 100 yards, so why not? That is better than I could ever shoot on ironsights anyways.

This upper

http://www.armslist.com/posts/79704/columbus-ohio-gun-parts-for-sale-fulton-armory-ar15-h-bar-upper

Plus this lower

http://www.armslist.com/posts/79774/columbus-ohio-gun-parts-for-sale-complete-superior-arms-ar-15-lower

puts me at 725, and all I would need is a bolt assembly and misc small parts? What am I missing here?

You can piece one together for less than that. Hell you can buy complete ars from budsgunshop for 650

A little more searching and I did find other parts for cheaper, and I guess I could always haggle them down, however I like the look of that HBAR upper. The lower doesn't matter nearly as much as the upper does it? It's just the triggergroup and magwell. I'm trying to do as much research as I can on it, it's my first time looking into ARs (I've told my self to never own an AR..ugh)

Anyone on here have parts? I also saw an upper for a 7.62x39 gun, which made my pants a tad bit tight.

Check out the Del-ton "complete rifle kits" at del-ton . com. All you need to complete these kits are a STRIPPED lower and a magazine. Cheapest (and easiest) way to put your first AR15 together.

Hot damn those are cheap. Time to piece together some options :D

e: a 6.8 lower will not work with 5.56 will it?

I'm trying to do as much research as I can on it, it's my first time looking into ARs (I've told my self to never own an AR..ugh)

If you're buying it to be "cool" like everyone else, go buy a cheap one like everyone else. You get what you pay for with AR15's as I've said about a billion times on here. I prefer the 1:7 twist 5.56 chambers, but that's just me. I bought my LMT for specific reasons, but I have a few S&W M&P15's aswell. Learn yourself on the AR15 before you hit the range. As simple as they seem, there's a few tricks to them aswell. Another thing I'll repeat, properly lube the rifle, buy quality magazines and spend for good ammo.

I hope you know how much it costs to shoot 5.56 right? You can shoot a thousand .22 for the price of 100 556

And? I can shoot a billion BB's for the price of 1,000 .22LR rounds. Shooting isn't a cheap hobby. If you really think 5.56mm is expensive, you must not go shooting very often. I sure as hell don't own AR15's to shoot .22LR through, I have rifles chambered in .22LR to shoot that cartridge. .22LR really isn't that fun to shoot, compared to 5.56mm.

And? I can shoot a billion BB's for the price of 1,000 .22LR rounds. Shooting isn't a cheap hobby. If you really think 5.56mm is expensive, you must not go shooting very often. I sure as hell don't own AR15's to shoot .22LR through, I have rifles chambered in .22LR to shoot that cartridge. .22LR really isn't that fun to shoot, compared to 5.56mm.

Your right. But with the recoil of Ar's and the real difference you feel is negligible, i would rather be able to shoot 1000 than 100. Not trying to talk him out, but hope hes just aware thats all.

The nice thing about the AR is how easily you can swap the 22 and 556 around. Keep the 556 at home and the 22 for the range. ;)

5.56 isn't that fun to shoot compared to 308 or even better .338LM . :p

I completely disagree with paying more for "brand name" AR15 parts. Just make sure that your parts meet military specifications and you'll be fine.

I've put together quite a few AR15 rifles in different configurations with many different brands of lowers and have never had any issues with assembly or rifle performance.

It's funny, but I've seen more problems with name brand pieces, particularly barrels, than with the so called "cheap" parts!

I completely disagree with paying more for "brand name" AR15 parts. Just make sure that your parts meet military specifications and you'll be fine.

I've put together quite a few AR15 rifles in different configurations with many different brands of lowers and have never had any issues with assembly or rifle performance.

It's funny, but I've seen more problems with name brand pieces, particularly barrels, than with the so called "cheap" parts!

Yes, that is funny.

Most people don't work their ARs hard enough to find out where they stop working. A cheap $600 AR will work just fine for plinking, and sitting in a case. That's all most people want/need. If you're going to run a bunch of rounds (1000+) without cleaning it and shoot fast/hard then a $600 AR isn't going to work for you.

+1,000

I would second the Del-Ton kits for a decent plinker/range beater. They will work for 80% of guys that buy ARs and 99% of people that shoot less than 1000rds a year. Another option in that arena would be the CMMG Bargin Bin rifles http://www.cmmginc.com

If you are looking for a rifle that will be reliable enough to stake your life on, I would look at a Bravo Company Manufacturing upper on a decent lower. This is about the low end of a fully true "Mil-Spec" rifle. Another good option would be Daniel Defense.

I can say that I have a Double Star Kit rifle (similar to Del-Ton) with the only upgrade being a chrome-lined barrel (a necessary upgrade IMHO, especially if shooting dirty ass Wolf) with about 10,000 rds through it, including 5 really hard use sessions of 1000+ in one day. It works, but it is not my "fighting" rifle.

I have enough throwaway money that I don't think 5.56 is expensive. A friend of mine convinced me why I NEED an AR15. Plus it wouldn't feel right owning more commie guns than US guns. Thanks for all the help everyone, I'm waiting to see what some other things are going to cost before buying though, but hopefully I'll have one built sometime in january.

... If you're going to run a bunch of rounds (1000+) without cleaning it and shoot fast/hard then a $600 AR isn't going to work for you.

Sorry, this just is not true. The $600 AR15's will function just as well as a similarly configured name brand rifle.

Why wouldn't it?? What makes the name brand pieces better?

So I've convinced myself an AR-15 is something I need to have, despite everyone else having one. I've also realized I could build one for pretty cheap by buying a mix of all the parts on armslist. I don't need to shoot 3 moa groups at 100 yards, so why not? That is better than I could ever shoot on ironsights anyways.

This upper

http://www.armslist.com/posts/79704/columbus-ohio-gun-parts-for-sale-fulton-armory-ar15-h-bar-upper

Plus this lower

http://www.armslist.com/posts/79774/columbus-ohio-gun-parts-for-sale-complete-superior-arms-ar-15-lower

puts me at 725, and all I would need is a bolt assembly and misc small parts? What am I missing here?

Buy mine, Its done!! And in the Back counter section :D

Sorry, this just is not true. The $600 AR15's will function just as well as a similarly configured name brand rifle.

Why wouldn't it?? What makes the name brand pieces better?

Metallurgy, tolerances, assembly, quality control etc. I suggest you check out some AARs and see how many Bushmasters, DPMS, CMMG, etc. ARs shit the bed when put through their paces. Sure you can get a pretty crummy rifle, put a great BCG in it, feed it good ammo out of good mags and it may be 8/10ths as good...

The US military created a set of specifications that cover all of these issues. Buy parts that are manufactured to military specs and you are as good as you are going to get. Buy what you want, though, it's your money!

EDIT: Also keep in mind that just because it's a military spec and name brand doesn't mean you won't have problems. I've experienced problems with S&W feed ramps and just had to send a Daniel Defense barrel back because they drilled the gas port the wrong size!

The US military created a set of specifications that cover all of these issues. Buy parts that are manufactured to military specs and you are as good as you are going to get. Buy what you want, though, it's your money!

EDIT: Also keep in mind that just because it's a military spec and name brand doesn't mean you won't have problems. I've experienced problems with S&W feed ramps and just had to send a Daniel Defense barrel back because they drilled the gas port the wrong size!

"Mil-Spec" is something that everyone uses, and few companies really mean. A "Mil-Spec" AR would be an M16 or M4 manufactured by FN or Colt (or a few others depending on generation) and I don't think that's what you're talking about. Other than that, it refers to general dimensions, processes, materials, etc.. When you go to a gun shop and say "I want a mil-spec AR" then the clerk will hand you an AR that is the same size and accepts the same magazines as the military spec weapon. Will it have a military or commercial buffer tube? Will the carrier keys be staked properly? Will the buffer and spring be correct? Will the extractor spring and buffer be correct for the rifle/carbine? Will the barrel be chrome lined with the right twist and chamber? Will the profile be correct? Will the front site base be the right hight for the receiver? Etc. etc. etc. etc. And I'm just getting warmed up to get started.

Mil-spec is the biggest BS term used in the whole world of ARs. Jesus, it's so damn irritating people say "I have a mil-spec AR" and before you know anything about it you can see the barrel isn't the right length! Ha! I'm trying to be patient...