Ipod connection help

Buck531

I'm clueless when it comes to mac stuff. My son bought a 2nd Gen Ipod touch from a kid he knows down the street. No cords so we went to Best buy and bought one to hook it up to his laptop. When connecting it, it comes on like it wants to charge. But when running Itunes it doesn't see the device. Nor does device manager pick it up when I plug it in. It's Windows XP on an older Dell laptop. a C610 I believe. I even plugged it into my almost new HP 6910 and it didn't even pop up as a new device which it should?

I've uninstalled everything apple related from his laptop and put on Itunes 9.1.x (he had 10.x and that didn't work either).

Any other ideas other than going back to the kids house and asking for his money back .. or ask the kid he bought it off of to sync it up to his shit and see if it works?

When you have Itunes open there should be a preference that will ask, do you want itunes to automatically connect/ recognize ipods. Do you want it to autosync and all that stuff. You may have to change some of those settings.

I have all my ITunes setting set so that it won't recognize my Ipod unless I do the connection manually, most people I know don't do this, it might be the problem.

Itunes > Preferences > Devices

Look at your settings in there.

Also, check the package on the cord, it may not be a data cable like stated above, it should say on the package bright as day. If it's connecting and charging then it should connect it to the computer unless it just isn't a data cable.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23153%3B+-+Wall+Charger/1200742.p?id=1218232915372&skuId=1200742&st=dx-acusb1&cp=1&lp=7

That's what she said would work. I didn't pay much attention as my 9 year old was with us and kept nagging to go look at the games and we didn't have much time.

LOL I get a better look at the packaging and look online about the cord he bought. It's just a wall charger. Best buy Lady FTL. I asked her if this will work and sync it up and she said yep.

This is why you NEVER shop at best buy. I have overheard so much false information from there that I can't believe how anyone can stand to lie like that all day.