Ugh...LS1 crank pulley came apart.

TurboGoKart

Never seen this happen before, but from what I've heard it's not common. Did a 2-3 pull, heard some nasty noises and ended up finding part of my crank pulley on the side of the road!

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/turbogokart/b6434357.jpg

Anyone ever seen this? Comments? Any pulley options not have the rubber in the middle so this won't happen again?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they do that often from what ive red mostly seems on the dyno. get a ati and never worrie again and while ur at it pin the crank.

i think too in one of the 12 mags i subscribe too they were dynoing a ls1 or 3 and same thing broke at about 5500-6000

id pin any crank dampner evan if it is only driving ur p/s a/c wp and alt. very cheap ins. and not hard to do. i bet you the same people who say dont pin it will change their advice once theres is spinning on the crank and they have to buy a new one. crank

The pin isn't going to retain the balancer, the balancer bolt is supposed to do that job.

The hell it wont! You try shearing a pin sideways like that. The bolt is about .02 cents in insurance so the pulley won't fall off.

Here's what's left of the crank pulley on the car. I missed it the first time because the belt grooves were deceiving. Those grooves are actually from the 30 seconds the car was running after I heard something fall off. Had I felt belt tension right away I would have known something was goofy. Luckily nothing was hurt/broken other than the crank pulley. All the other pulleys still spin freely.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/turbogokart/39a65c57.jpg

The hell it wont! You try shearing a pin sideways like that. The bolt is about .02 cents in insurance so the pulley won't fall off.

Here's what's left of the crank pulley on the car. I missed it the first time because the belt grooves were deceiving. Those grooves are actually from the 30 seconds the car was running after I heard something fall off. Had I felt belt tension right away I would have known something was goofy. Luckily nothing was hurt/broken other than the crank pulley. All the other pulleys still spin freely.

]

Do you actually understand how these are pinned? The pins go parallel to the crank, not perpendicular. The bolt retains the balancer.

The pin isn't going to retain the balancer, the balancer bolt is supposed to do that job.

i understand that but it doesn't always. i have seen it first hand. the pin keeps the balancer from spinning on the crank shaft and loosing the balancer bolt.

i understand that but it doesn't always. i have seen it first hand. the pin keeps the balancer from spinning on the crank shaft and loosing the balancer bolt.

I will assume you mean loosening the balancer bolt, and I will agree with you on principle. The only time I have seen a balancer come off was a boosted LS1 RX7 that had reused one of the factory crank bolts. Thats a definite bad idea. That should be LSx tech tip #1: If for any reason you remove the crank bolt, do not reuse it. A new one can be purchased for 8 dollars.

Seen this shit before, just had a Vette in the shop recently with one coming apart just like that, it threw the belt before it came all the way apart. Problem is anything made out of rubber gets old and high RPMs don't work, I've also seen the crank bolts come loose and pinning the balancer fixes that. If the balancer just starts to spin it will loosen the bolt.

I will assume you mean loosening the balancer bolt, and I will agree with you on principle. The only time I have seen a balancer come off was a boosted LS1 RX7 that had reused one of the factory crank bolts. Thats a definite bad idea. That should be LSx tech tip #1: If for any reason you remove the crank bolt, do not reuse it. A new one can be purchased for 8 dollars.

Fuxk the factory crap, go with an ARP and a lot of red locktite torqued to spec and it'll never come off. I had a 150 shot on my ls2 and after I pinned the crank I never had a problem with the balancer coming off or bolt backing out. The only reason the bolt spins loose on a stock setup is cause the pulley spins on the crank and loosens the bolt. If the pin and an ARP will hold a shot of nitrous and the instant torque that it makes, it'll deff hold the gradual power increase of an NA or blower car.

. If the pin and an ARP will hold a shot of nitrous and the instant torque that it makes, it'll deff hold the gradual power increase of an NA or blower car.

That made me laugh. The torque of a nitrous shot has nothing to do with the balancer, now the input shaft of the tranny might feel that way. Crank pinning is mostly used for blower cars. They create the most load on the crank pulley, as you are spinning another item that increases in load with rpm. The accessory drive doesn't create a huge load, which is why GM doesn't pin the cranks.

That made me laugh. The torque of a nitrous shot has nothing to do with the balancer, now the input shaft of the tranny might feel that way. Crank pinning is mostly used for blower cars. They create the most load on the crank pulley, as you are spinning another item that increases in load with rpm. The accessory drive doesn't create a huge load, which is why GM doesn't pin the cranks.

you are proving yourself to know very little about cars. you continue to argue with out backing anything up while there is plenty of cases where the balancer will spin and back out the bolt without pinning. now while on a stock car the pin kit isn't necessary but in high horse engine its a must.