Freeze plug rerplacement, Engine block.

Science Abuse

How much force is necessary to put a freeze plug back in? Or rather, a new one. I have access to the port it popped out of, can I do this with a hammer and big punch?

Should I run some RTV or JB weld around the edge?

Edited by Science Abuse
freeze plug

yes you need some sealant around the edge. i like using GM engine sealant because its the best stuff out there. Permatex gasket maker in the metal can is a very close second.

you need as big of socket that will fit inside the freeze plug and a hammer. it doesn't take much to put them in so go slow.

yes you need some sealant around the edge. i like using GM engine sealant because its the best stuff out there. Permatex gasket maker in the metal can is a very close second.

you need as big of socket that will fit inside the freeze plug and a hammer. it doesn't take much to put them in so go slow.

You mean it doesn't take much to push them THROUGH? I'm having visions of that right now, I think I can cobble together a simple tool that will tap them in without being able to fit through the hole. The engine is still in the car, so it would be nice to have something that doesn't require finesses and babysitting.