Home Beer Brewing?

KillJoy

the hardest part (besides putting in the work and being super precise) is actually finding enough empty beer bottles that aren't screw-top, and cleaning them.

when i was in boston, my buddy's wife and my gf went out of town together and he'd brewed 5 gallons of mead in anticipation. it was definitely worth the time/effort.

if you're anything like me, you'll be obsessed with the science of it and need to write down every little thing you did and try to keep everything in chemically controlled environments.

the hardest part (besides putting in the work and being super precise) is actually finding enough empty beer bottles that aren't screw-top, and cleaning them.

when i was in boston, my buddy's wife and my gf went out of town together and he'd brewed 5 gallons of mead in anticipation. it was definitely worth the time/effort.

if you're anything like me, you'll be obsessed with the science of it and need to write down every little thing you did and try to keep everything in chemically controlled environments.

If anyone needs/wants empty bottles let me know. I go through a few of them :)

If you wanna meet a crowd that knows home brewing and beer in general go to Blacklick Wine & Spirits, they also have a new store in Powell forget its name, think its wine and spirits something or another. They sell brewing supplies and if you talk to Joe their beer guy he will tell you everything and more you'd want or need to know.

My brother in law is getting into brewing also. He is bottle brewing, but I'm buying some kits too and he is brewing them for me. I bought some cornelius kegs and we're going to keep it on draft instead of bottling. If you want I'll give you a heads up the next time we brew. It's pretty interesting to watch the process. The biggest issue is keeping everything clean so you don't get any foreign bacteria in the mix.

My brother has been home brewing in ever-larger quantities since the 80's.

None of it was any better (or as good, imo) as what you can get at Krogers or the Andersons. And, if you're honest, isn't any cheaper once you figure in all the real costs.

Fun hobby for sure.

None of it was any better (or as good, imo) as what you can get at Krogers or the Andersons. And, if you're honest, isn't any cheaper once you figure in all the real costs.

Fun hobby for sure.

I can understand it that it is more expensive in the beginning, but the beers I drink are $10 / 6 pack.

EVENTUALLY, it will catch up...

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Years ago I got into home-growing: nothing like growing your own veggies... (they pay for themselves, and them some)

Actually have a home brewing kit but have too many things going on right now to dabble with it. I've heard the fermentation process takes months and it takes a while to get the hang of things, not much different from growing veggies I suppose...

Edited by acklac7

If you wanna meet a crowd that knows home brewing and beer in general go to Blacklick Wine & Spirits, they also have a new store in Powell forget its name, think its wine and spirits something or another. They sell brewing supplies and if you talk to Joe their beer guy he will tell you everything and more you'd want or need to know.

I actually talked to that guy a couple months ago about beer. He is very knowledgeable. I'm just considered home brewing recently so I might have to go talk to him again since he's just down the road.

I've been doing it for a few years now and I'm finally making the jump to all-grain brewing and kegging. Should be up and running before spring, this cuts costs at both ends. Your best bet on a brew pot is to cut up an old keg. (you prob want to start with a 1/6 barrel.) I made a jig that fit into the siphon tube and bolts to a grinder if you want to barrow it. a plasma cutter is even better though if you can get your hands on one of those. Hit me up if you have any questions.

Fun hobby for sure.

Your first batch will not be any cheaper than buying when you figure the equipment to get up and running. But a kit batch will be roughly 2 cases (48 or 50 bottles). At $10 a six pack that's $80 worth. Since the kit will run you roughly $30 in the long run you will save money. But more importantly, if you do it right you will enjoy the beer you drink more because you made it yourself.

Years ago I got into home-growing: nothing like growing your own veggies... (they pay for themselves, and them some)

Actually have a home brewing kit but have too many things going on right now to dabble with it. I've heard the fermentation process takes months and it takes a while to get the hang of things, not much different from growing veggies I suppose...

Not months and months. All the beers that my brother in law and I have done have been 2 weeks in the fermenter and 2 weeks in the bottle. Then start drinking it. For that matter most people crack a couple open after 3 weeks total and see how it is progressing. With keg brewing we might be able to skip the bottle conditioning and tap the kegs shortly after pressurizing them with C02.

That being said, we are going to do a Russian Imperial Stout next month and keg it so it will be ready for Christmas. 9 to 12 months before it's ready. But we've already done a Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout, and a Porter. There is a Cream Stout in the fermenter for 1 more week before it goes into the keg. Then we have a Honey Porter to brew for kegging.

The Cornelius kegs we got online from Midwest Brewers Supply (?) for $30 per keg.

I have been doing it for a few years now. I have made about 5 or 6 batches total so far. My last batch was the first one that didn't turn out as well as I would have liked and I kind of lost interest for a while. I have been meaning to get back into it.

Check out Listermann.com for kits and supplies. They are in Cincinnati and have anything you would need. I talked to the owner at length and he showed me around. They use good quality ingredients in their kits. I bought bottles from them as well because I picked up my kit in person. Over the years I have replaced any that i gave away with used Sam Adams bottles or whatever. You can soak them in TSP and the labels peel off.

I haven't made the jump into all grain, I'm still a "kit brewer", but honestly if you go with a good kit you can't go wrong. My favorite beer is Dogfishhead 90 minute ($11 for 4) and I can make Listermann's Imperial IPA for about $50 (50-55 bottles). When I do my part I like it nearly as well as anything from a store. It's a lot of work, but once you do it a couple of times it gets pretty simple. I can do brew day in about 4-6 hours and bottling in about 2-3 hours. Fermentation time depends on the beer mainly, but most will only need about 2-3 weeks in the fermenter.

Remember to keep detailed notes about any changes you make. I'm 99% certain that switching up the yeast brand on my last kit killed the flavor profile because I know that's all I changed.

I just started brewing not long ago, and I just started another batch today. All the equipment you could buy at a shop (Gentiles in grandview is GREAT!) will set you back maybe $150 to have everything you need. Ingredient kits run $35-45.

One thing you ABSOLUTELY need is a 3+ gallon (4+ recommended) pot to boil water in. This isn't listed on most of the kits and can be pricey as well.

A 5 gallon batch with minimal loss can get you around 50 bottles, which will be less than a dollar a piece in the end for some pretty good tasting beer. Tip: dark beers are easier, you have more flavor to mask your fuckups.