Buell "own the corners" Hype or not?

everoblivion2005

600 is totally fine. I'd be scared to have something less out on the road. I rode ninjachks 250 once and I'd be scared I'd get ran over. Power is way too weak for safety in my opinion.

you arent exactly built for a 250 dude :D

I've ridden the lightning it's called, I noticed they turn in quick because of a realy short wheel base. that can get you into some twitchy situations till you get used to it, but they do turn quick !!They carry some of the weight low and you can tell that too.

I agree with the limited rev range.

Let's put it this way... Buell 1125s are racing against current crop 600s. Seems to be a pretty equal scenerio, right? I think it says a lot about the lack of power and handling of the Buells...

Now, add in street trim and the bikes get even further apart. Your buddy got a good leason in what these current crop Big 4 bikes have to offer. They are much lighter, purpose built machines. I do bet after a while of learning, your buddy will never go back.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but the Big 4 600's are built for racing and that's about it, especially the current gen ones like the new ZX-6. Buell never really designed the 1125r for the track; as far as I know it was designed as a street bike from the get-go.

Then again, someone in the market for an 1125r probably isn't buying it for track-only purposes. Hell, half the reason personally I like them is because it ISN'T a Big 4 bike. Yes, the Japanese 600's might be faster, but every kid with a few thousand bucks and a desire to go fast has one. They're a little...generic, IMO.

if you wanted a v twin for the low and mid range power, but wanted a wider rev range, and wanted a bike that still handles well, you could try to pick up a RC51 or an older duc or aprilia... the only thing you'd have to worry about is the maintenance. but then that wouldnt be such a problem if you have the time and the know how to do your own wrenching.

i can't say i've run into many maintenance issues with my aprilia though.

my cuz had a buell for a while, and he thought he would jump right on a 600 and feel comfortable on it.. 4 days later he crashed it into a ditch, i was right behind him as we was going into the corner. i think he finally relized that the 600 a bit more zip than the buell as far as higher RPM's.

and he's damn lucky nothing worse happened to him than the scratch on his face. if his glow stick g/f would've been on there with him it could've been pretty bad.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but the Big 4 600's are built for racing and that's about it, especially the current gen ones like the new ZX-6. Buell never really designed the 1125r for the track; as far as I know it was designed as a street bike from the get-go.

Then again, someone in the market for an 1125r probably isn't buying it for track-only purposes. Hell, half the reason personally I like them is because it ISN'T a Big 4 bike. Yes, the Japanese 600's might be faster, but every kid with a few thousand bucks and a desire to go fast has one. They're a little...generic, IMO.

Well, they actually aimed it at track use a good bit. They have a really good platform for FX as they have shown and even now in the Daytona Sportbike class.

It's a good bike. But, you are right, it is a LITLLE more relaxed in seating position and such, but not by much. It's not as aggressive as a current crop 600, but I agree with you - the 600s are more track than street really...

I also agree about the being different. I also think that they appeal to a lot of riders. That's why I said if the OP likes it, they should get it. It's a really good bike. The motor is awesome.

Let's put it this way... Buell 1125s are racing against current crop 600s. Seems to be a pretty equal scenerio, right? I think it says a lot about the lack of power and handling of the Buells...

Now, add in street trim and the bikes get even further apart. Your buddy got a good leason in what these current crop Big 4 bikes have to offer. They are much lighter, purpose built machines. I do bet after a while of learning, your buddy will never go back.

It's not a slam as I think the new 1125 is a MUCH better attempt at a sportbike than previous Buells. I remember the previous models as being VERY chunky and sloppy and not a good idea for track use. Many did and with success, but if they succeeded, they dropped a LOT of money into them to get them close...

I do know that there is a proper sportbike attempt coming from Buell. It hopefully will not get shelved as it is targeting the RC8, Ducati, etc. Now, we've heard this song and dance before, but I think it may change...

or were you referring to the 1125r?

whats this about a "proper" sport bike? any links? just wondering because like i said before i really don't want to get a buell as my first bike. i'd be devestated for anything to happen to it. but if they come out with a more competitive model three years from now that would be exciting!!:metal:

Edited by everoblivion2005

Lizard, guess you missed the part where they were horsepower limited to race at Daytona.

http://www.buell.com/en_us/company/news/detail.asp?news_id=1427

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=35780

Buell did get a top 5 finish. Not bad for a new bike. Poor handling??????

You understand why they allowed large displacement Vtwins to compete?

Volumetric efficiency.

Try to look beyond your prejudice and just enjoy their small success. It is a different bike in all aspects and it appeals to some and repulses others. I don't care for the 1125 look, but I enjoy the XB series.

Lizard, guess you missed the part where they were horsepower limited to race at Daytona.

Volumetric efficiency.

Try to look beyond your prejudice and just enjoy their small success. It is a different bike in all aspects and it appeals to some and repulses others. I don't care for the 1125 look, but I enjoy the XB series.

I didn't know they were limited, but those articles don't mention it. What were they limited to? I know the stock 1125r already makes 148 hp; I'd imagine they can get some pretty insane numbers with proper race setup.

Volumetric efficiency.

Look, the bike is over 1100 ccs. Here's a great link that shows the numbers and why the racers are scratching their heads in wonder as to why this bike is allowed...

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Nov/081121fr.htm

Maybe you missed the trap speeds of the 1125Rs vs. the R6?

I'm not prejudice towards the bikes. Maybe you didn't read anything I said. You take a 1125R and an R6 and make them both race ready. You'll have more money in the Buell.

I see you're a Buell rider by your sig. Maybe you should wake up and quit drinking so much Cool-Aide.

DMG has shit so screwed up it isn't funny. The Buell on paper should eat the R6 for lunch. It showed at Daytona it is VERRRRY fast. But, what you are pointing to is something that still doesn't make sense. The Buell should be allowed in FX as per the rules LAST year. Not in an essentially Supersport class...

Oh, and it isn't new... What I was refering to was that Buell is actually wanting to make a proper bike like seen in the Ducati and RC8 and other high performance sport bikes...