Computer geek help!

Rotarded1647545491

I am going to be couch-ridden for a week after my surgery. I have my work laptop so that I can answer e-mails and set-up things while I'm away. Here is my quandry:

I have WOW cable, via wired cable modem, for my home PC. I am purchasing a wireless router to be able to use my work laptop, and my future home laptop.

How do I set-up the hardware, software, and PC setting in order to be able to use both PC and laptop.

You shouldnt be using your desktop directly with your modem. It leaves you wide open to inbound connections. = hackers and other malicious attacks.

The wireless is pretty simple. Plug your modem into the router, and thats really all you need to get wireless on your laptop. Hook your desktop into the router and its done period.

i would suggest setting up some sort of password for your wireless connection though. This can be done by typing the IP address of the router in your web browser, log in using the credentials given with your router(generally username:admin, password: blank)

Plug in router. Plug in the modem into the back where it says internet. Plug in desktop into "1".

On the desktop, go to internet explorer or your browser of choice and type into the address bar, 192.168.1.1 or .0.1

Type admin for username and either password or leave blank for the password.

Go into basic settings and name the router.

Go into basic wireless settings and give it a SSID or what the name of the router will be broadcasting. Set the encryption as GAPE said to WPA2 and give it a good 8-15 alphanumerical password that you will use to logon to the router with. Hit save and your done.

Go to laptops and find the router, connect and enter password.