NHRA/IHRA Stock Eliminator Classification

Patterson

For the life of me I cannot find any of my rule books, but can somebody look up for 11.9-11.99 pounds weight break. I'm thinking it falls in the D,E,or F SA. but I can't remember.

Stock and Super Stock are two of the toughest classes in racing.

Stock and Super Stock are two of the toughest classes in racing.

Way hard, I built a Firebird for J/SA and K/SA before the kids arrived. I wasn't 6/10 under or anything but it was legal and consistent. The class has always intrigued me. If anything else it'll be a monster bracket car.

Way hard, I built a Firebird for J/SA and K/SA before the kids arrived. I wasn't 6/10 under or anything but it was legal and consistent. The class has always intrigued me. If anything else it'll be a monster bracket car.

Good ex-client of mine used to do very well with a Stock class LT1 Camaro. Jeff Potts from Minford, he and his brother both raced in Stock.

I don't really understand the class. How does it work?

Heads up?

Bracket race with your own dial-in?

.10 index dial-in then your fastest timetrial/qualifing pass?

Pro tree .400 or .500/ sportsman tree?

class G/S 11.00-11.49 manual tansmission. (that would be my class) do I only race G/S cars?

Does everybody in G/S run a 11.00 index?

I don't really understand the class. How does it work?

Heads up?

Bracket race with your own dial-in?

.10 index dial-in then your fastest timetrial/qualifing pass?

Pro tree .400 or .500/ sportsman tree?

class G/S 11.00-11.49 manual tansmission. (that would be my class) do I only race G/S cars?

Does everybody in G/S run a 11.00 index?

.5 tree

The rating is HP factored for your car x pounds per hp

If you go on NHRA's website, they have the factory rated HP, and pounds per HP they have figured on for your car.

For the 79 Camaro I'm looking at it wold work out like this:

287x11.90+170 (driver factored weight)=3585 minimum weight That would be H/SA for Automatic, or H/S for manual. the class index is 12.15 and quicker.

Index is also figured , and to run that given class you need to run the minimum time. Anything under 1.15ish IIRC is subject to tear down and inspection. If you set a record for class run, you need to back it up, and you get torn down for inspection. If you cant run with your rated class you can add weight and move down one or loose weight and go up one. If I remember correctly.

The Shelby would likely end up in AA/FI or A/FI based on the 500HP rating, and 6.94 pphp wich is gonna be around 10.6 or quicker

ok. so for my car it would work like this.

500x6.94+170=3640lbs

I currently weight 3925 w/ me in it.

But I don't think I am allowed to have a smaller blower pulley? (I do)

And I think I have to retain the factory air box? I can cut hole in it but I have to use the factory style air filter? (I don't have that on either) I have a Cold air Induction with an open cone style 10" K&N air filter.

I have run 11.03@129.52mph With a weight reduction of 285lbs (if I could get down that low)that might put me in the 10.7's

What would my car have to run to be competitive?

still not sure what class I would be in either?

ok. so for my car it would work like this.

500x6.94+170=3640lbs

I currently weight 3925 w/ me in it.

But I don't think I am allowed to have a smaller blower pulley? (I do)

And I think I have to retain the factory air box? I can cut hole in it but I have to use the factory style air filter? (I don't have that on either) I have a Cold air Induction with an open cone style 10" K&N air filter.

I have run 11.03@129.52mph With a weight reduction of 285lbs (if I could get down that low)that might put me in the 10.7's

What would my car have to run to be competitive?

still not sure what class I would be in either?

The way I've always understood the rules, It would be a stock pulley, you can cut up the stock air box, you can change the cams but it must retain stock lift, and super blueprinting of the motor.

National record for the class is:

AA/S 9.37 144.95 09/12/10 Don Fezell - Du Bois, PA

'08 Ford Englishtown, NJ

Ok, He is running a 2008 Shelby Cobra jet (factory built racecar). But I just seen a video. He said the index was 11.25 and need to be about a second quicker than that to be comptitive. now the index for a/s is 10.95 so I would have to be in the 10.0 range to be competitive.

I am starting to see how this all works now.

But one thing I don't understand. I was watching some elemination rounds on youtube of stock eleminator and they are using a stagger start just like regular bracket racing. As long as I can run faster then 10.95(index for A/S) then I could do it, right?

Running a second faster to be competitive, I don't understand that. Unless he was shooting for the record for the class, right?

that is the video

Yep, unless you are lined up against a car in the same class, it's a bracket race based off of dial-in's. If you're in a same-classed car you run heads up. If there is enough cars in a particular class, they'll have run offs as well for a class winner.

Th way I always looked at it, is if you can run under your Index, and the car is consistent you're good to go. Now if you're .4 under and another car in your class is 1 under well pray for a red light, or tree the hell out of them.

Bummer about classes like this is you buy things like pistons, and valve springs in bulk and sit at the bench for hours matching them. If you're serious, you pitch the springs every 50-75 runs.

But if you suck and can't make all the races. They will last you all season;)