Robert Kubica in severe rally crash

Das Borgen

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=50001

Robert Kubica has undergone surgery in Italy after sustaining multiple fractures to his right arm, leg and hand following a high-speed accident while competing in a rally in Italy, his Lotus Renault team has now confirmed.

The Polish driver was airlifted to hospital near Genoa this morning after reportedly crashing into the wall of a church while on his way to the start of the Ronde di Andora Rally he was meant to be competing in this weekend.

On Sunday afternoon his Renault team released a second statement in which it confirmed that after undergoing extensive medical checks on his arrival at the Santa Corona hospital in Pietra Ligure it had emerged Kubica had sustained multiple fractures and was now being operated on.

It had already been confirmed that Kubica’s co-driver Jakub Gerber had escaped from the accident unharmed. The confirmation of Kubica’s injuries would appear to almost certainly rule him out of the early stages of the new Formula 1 season, given the campaign starts in just over a month’s time in Bahrain.

Kubica, who got his and Renault’s pre-season programme off to an encouraging start when he set the pace in Valencia earlier this week, was due to resume F1 testing duties in Jerez on Saturday, but the team will now have to draft in a replacement to share duties with the inexperienced Vitaly Petrov.

The Enstone squad’s immediate back-up options consist of Bruno Senna and Romain Grosjean, yet the pair only have one season and half a season of F1 race experience respectively.

Kubica has competed in a number of rallies since joining the Renault team from BMW Sauber at the end of 2009.

First and so far only Pole in F1

it s not looking good

Robert Kubica may lose his hand

holy fuck!

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/comment/12/2011/02/9877a2f345fbc704029180d7e13d30c5/original.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwo7yeUPJVk

I wish him a speedy recovery...he's been in the nastiest F1 I've ever seen since I've become a religious follower and he missed 1 race due to that accident

I hope he keeps the hand. Extremity injuries can be overcome in a racing environment. He was a very good driver. Put him on one of the top three teams and he'd be a champion. No one was as consistent as Kubica last year; his car just didn't have the pace. I was really looking forward to seeing him tangle with the top teams again, this time in Renault/Lotus gold and black. It would have been like watching the Grand Prix races of the past. Now, Renault/Lotus is stuck with Petrov who seems to park his car more than race it, and an unproven rookie.

Here's hoping Kubica makes a full recovery and gets that Ferrari deal everyone was sure he had.

Shit is dangerous. Sucks.

They're talking about having teams curtail their drivers from dangerous pursuts in their off time. I can see why that's even considered since each driver represents a huge investment in time and money. But I don't think it's right. They NEED to blow off steam. When the season is on, being a F1 driver is NOT a fun or relaxing job. It's work, it's stress, it's a fucked-up sleep schedule, it's crappy diets, it's political BS with the media, and endless data analyzing. And THEN there's the competition, not just with the other drivers, but with yoru teammate as well.

It really says something when Stage Rally is a way to unwind. :D

^ agreed, Draco

heck, Webber finished the 2010 F1 season with an injury

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/motor-racing/webber-drove-with-broken-shoulder/story-e6frfgb6-1225966731400

So THAT'S why his pace fell off. Wow, no wonder. I'm amazed he hid it from the press. This was the exact opposite but, remember when Alonso "injured" his left arm? He was flexing it all the time and acting like it hurt to grip the wheel for long periods of time. The press figured out it was a ploy to cover up Ferrari's f-duct activation. Usually stuff like this gets figured out pretty quick. I wonder how much Webber's doctor got paid to keep his injury hush-hush? :cool:

Codrivers' recount of the crash

Robert Kubica's co-driver, Jakub Gerber, has explained how their accident on Sunday's Ronde di Andora rally happened. The Renault F1 driver remains in intensive care in hospital in Italy and is due to undergo a second surgery on serious hand and arm injuries and a broken right leg.

Gerber explained how their Skoda Fabia was penetrated by a section of barrier after Kubica slid wide into a right-hander.

"We knew the surface was slippery because of the humidity and we were ready," Gerber told Gazzetta dello Sport. "After skidding, the car leaned against the guard rail and pushed it outwards. Then it crashed against the following guard rail.

"The guard rail pierced through the car and went all the way through it. I immediately saw it was serious, he also had a bad bruise under his eye after hitting the steering wheel. Robert passed out and I exited through the window because the door was stuck.

"The ambulance arrived immediately and then came the firemen. They took over half an hour to pull him out. The first crew didn't have the shears so they had to wait for another crew. Then the helicopter couldn't land in that spot, so Robert had to be moved and more time was lost."

Gerber was critical of the section of road that had a gap between two sections of barrier, leaving the end of the second exposed. And he also called for increased protection around the cockpit of rally cars.

"That opening [between the two sections of barrier] makes no sense," he said. "But, most of all, we shouldn't have cars with so little protection at the front. It's not the first time a crash like this happens - the Federation should think of something to protect the cockpit."

When asked whether he thought the accident was caused by a car failure or a mistake by Kubica, Gerber replied: "In a competition you try to go as quickly as possible. Robert is the type of person that thinks hard, always looks a step ahead, he's precise, fast and clean. A complete driver."

Mauro Moreno, who was the driver on the scene running one minute behind Kubica, gave his account.

"It was a horrifying view. I called him by name a couple of times, but he didn't reply," he told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"The steel blade was coming out of the hatchback. His co-driver signalled to me he had no problems so I asked Robert if he was ok too. But that was useless because he was in a state of semi-unconsciousness and he wouldn't talk."

so far we know his hand that was partially severed was reattached and he's moving it as well as fingers (great news). After 5 days it will be telling of long term recovery since the vascular system could act up from 5-7 days on. He's up from his induced coma

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/40203.html

Kubica underwent seven hours of surgery on Sunday and on Monday morning was being brought out of a sedated sleep to talk to doctors and his family. The extent of the injuries to his right hand and arm are still unknown, but it now appears certain he will be out for the start of the season and possibly the whole year.

"The hand is warm and this means the operation went well," surgeon Mario Igor Rossello told reporters. "We need at least six days to check if the circulation of the blood in the limb responds as it should."

In a press release the team confirmed that Kubica can now moving his fingers, but said "it will be several days before it is known if the operation has been 100% successful". It added that he may have to undergo surgery again to treat his shoulder and elbow fractures in a few days time.