how to hide a bunch of wires (tv, cable, etc)

evan9381

i need to get all my cables around my TV organized and cleaned up...they just keep adding up, and im sick of seeing a birds nest of wires behind the table my TV sits on.

currently, i have the speakers for 7.1 surround (and 4 for the sides/rear are coming up from under the carpet and right into the receiver, so not so horrible on those), subwoofer, wii, super nintendo, n64, xbox, cable box, bluray player, ipod dock, cable modem, wireless router, 2 power strips, and im sure other random stuff back there.

so, i guess what would be ideal, and i dont know if this exists, or if i could piece together a couple things, is if i can just set up a bookshelf with a system on each shelf, and some way to hide all the cables and have the least amount of wire visible as possible...maybe a "trap" door or an access door where the cables would hide themselves?

only thing that sucks is that my receiver is HDMI passthrough only, so i can't get audio through HDMI...ive got 2 optical audio cable inputs, but 3 devices i want/need to use them for (xbox, cable box, bluray player)

Sounds like a good book shelf/stand would be ideal. You can work out some various options to have just one power cord run behind the shelf then have a large surge protector behind the shelf and plug all that shit in. Likewise do you really need 4 gaming systems hooked up to one TV haha!?

need? no, but i just dont want to deal with pulling the whole TV/stand out to hook something up when i want to play something...plus, the wii will probably be getting sold soon since the xbox i got has the kinect system with it. no need to keep 2 of basically the same thing

but here's what im looking at...its horrible. lol

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/IMAG0231.jpg?t=1298000085

Yeah I would just get a different TV stand with more places for your consoles, recievers and such, a bigger one probably a wooden one with some bulk to it to hide most the cords, then the only cords that should/may show would be speaker cords and maybe one main power cord?

I would suggest an optical audio splitter, that would help, for one thing. And then as far as hiding everything else, use wire runs or something similar.

Optical splitter/switch:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2946&seq=1&format=2

HDMI version:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=6259&seq=1&format=2

Monoprice is also the best place to get cables of any type at any length. You'll be especially surprised at the price of hdmi if you've not seen them before.

i got super cheap HDMI from firefold a while back (a 25' for like $17 IIRC...bought it to use my 60" as a screen for my laptop, but after trying and searching online for months, i cant figure out how to get it to fit my screen correctly)...i was thinking of a optical audio splitter, and an HDMI splitter, but that means i have 2 more remotes here, on top of the 4 i already have (cable, TV, receiver, bluray), or i could go to a universal, but that might be $100 or more.

then what if i have my cable box turned on and decide to fire up the xbox and theyre both on at the same time?

i really wish i would have realized the surround system wouldnt do audio through HDMI when i bought it...would have saved me a bit of headache. lol

then what if i have my cable box turned on and decide to fire up the xbox and theyre both on at the same time?

If such a tragedy is to occur, then you get up and change it with the included remote. The other 90% of the time though, you don't ;).