88 firebird

351mach11647545510

got my brothers 88 firebird from him when it got stolen and he decided not to throw any more money at it due to all the issues with it and his lack of gumption to try and tackle anything himself. Car is originally a 305tbi car with a 700r4. The motor is gone and the tranny has an issue with upshifting prematurally (sp?) then not wanting to downshift causing the already weak motor to stall. Today picked up a 4 bolt 350 complete from CARB to oil pan and a TH350. The motor and tranny came out of an 84 silverado 2wd truck and was a "computer controled" carb motor. Dont know how well this is going to work but my main concern is are there any issues im going to have with this tranny getting it to work besides needing a different drive shaft. will the mount still work and should the speedo still work correctly?

If you have a 2wd truck tranny, you shouldn't need to change the drive shaft. You'll need a torque arm adapter, but that's something you can get at Jegs. The electronic speedo is going to be an issue if you don't plan on retaining the factory ecm/wiring. You could get a mechanical speedo out of an 85-87 and solve that issue. I am not sure about the crossmember.

You'll need a torque arm mount to bolt to the rear tail housing on the tranny, Non computer carb, and distributor. You'll need to get a lock up switch kit for the transmission as well.

If the tailshaft housing on the trans is the long version (should be out of a truck) the driveshaft should work.

if you want it to be really easy get the tbi intake manifold and tbi off of a truck it'll bolt on and then all of your fuel injection will work..... you should be able to pull the speed sensor out of the 700r4 and use it in the th350

The heads are the wrong bolt pattern. 86-95 GM cast iron heads have a 72 deg cant on the four center intake bolts. You can grind down the intake and reangle the holes to match the early style head pattern though. But you could run into sealing problems.

The heads are the wrong bolt pattern. 86-95 GM cast iron heads have a 72 deg cant on the four center intake bolts. You can grind down the intake and reangle the holes to match the early style head pattern though. But you could run into sealing problems.

I've always just drilled matched it, never had a problem and did it to several intakes :p Old cheap intakes on an L98 or the 305 truck motors I use to get all day.