Filing a complaint against an officer, couple questions.

Total Sign

keep in mind, i'm just adding to some debate...... but, why do you call the cop a jackass? if the OP was guilty of something (not saying he is), and you were the victim. would you not want the officer to do everything he could to bring the guilty party to justice?

I try to have respect for officers, especially in traffic stop situations. However, there is "doing things the right way" to try to help the victim, and then there's taking sides as an officer.

When you sign a traffic ticket, you are acknowledging you have been charged with the stated offense and if you elect to exercise your right to be heard before a judge, you may do so. Any officer commanding me not to exercise that right by showing up at my doorstep or calling me at night is way out of line, a jackass and abusing his power.

I try to have respect for officers, especially in traffic stop situations. However, there is "doing things the right way" to try to help the victim, and then there's taking sides as an officer.

When you sign a traffic ticket, you are acknowledging you have been charged with the stated offense and if you elect to exercise your right to be heard before a judge, you may do so. Any officer commanding me not to exercise that right by showing up at my doorstep or calling me at night is way out of line, a jackass and abusing his power.

agreed, if the cop told him to "just pay the ticket," then yes he is wrong. but he doesn't have the authority to do that. he has the authority give him a court date or pay a fine.

i'll give you this scenario. a hypothetical guy who posts on cr is driving down the road and side swipes your brand new car at 1100 pm. your neighbor is kind enough to get the cops a description of the car and driver with a license plate. would you be opposed to the cops going and knocking on dude's door?

agreed, if the cop told him to "just pay the ticket," then yes he is wrong. but he doesn't have the authority to do that. he has the authority give him a court date or pay a fine.

i'll give you this scenario. a hypothetical guy who posts on cr is driving down the road and side swipes your brand new car at 1100 pm. your neighbor is kind enough to get the cops a description of the car and driver with a license plate. would you be opposed to the cops going and knocking on dude's door?

people who hit skip will rot in the worst pits of hell :D

so no, but in that instance the officer is investigating.

:confused: Did you read the thread? I think a lot of people contributed quiet a bit. OP is asking the best way to go about getting this jackass off his back. It doesn't matter if he was completely guilty and in the wrong, this officer's conduct is unprofessional and inappropriate to say the least. I think he just wants to know what he can expect if he doesn't do anything, what he can expect if he does try to do something about it, and the best way to handle either situation. We don't need the whole story because guilt of the charged offense is irrelevant. I'd tear into anyone who calls me at night telling me how to exercise my rights as someone accused of anything.

This is my point. Not once have I made a mention of any guilt or lack there of. He was out of line, I was worried about him seeking revenge after a complaint.

I don't disagree with you hence why I said if you feel that you are being harassed take the proper channel. I guess I got frustrated with some of the comments. There are always 2 sides to every story and taking one side as gospel is not looking at the issue objectively. We are getting one side and I don't know the guy..he could be embellishing. I am not saying he was, but without all of the facts...I am going to go on nothing I would consider credible (no offense to OP).

I like your disclaimers, but I do take offense to your post. I must have nothing better to do than make up shit. Its not like I'm busy or anything. I didn't incite any of the comments, and really do not appreciate your innuendos.

keep in mind, i'm just adding to some debate...... but, why do you call the cop a jackass? if the OP was guilty of something (not saying he is), and you were the victim. would you not want the officer to do everything he could to bring the guilty party to justice?

telling the suspect you will take him to jail if he does take care of the ticket, in some way, is not a threat - it is the truth.

my guess, IF the cop was smart. he will pull you over EVERY time he sees you committing an offense and cite you EVERY time. He will be nothing but professional and courteous each and every time. he will probably also have the entire stop recorded.

IF the cop is dumb, he will harrass you in the way described in the OP and will have a valid complaint against him.

and you will not be able to file a complaint for the possible actions of said cop. you will get laughed right out of the police station.

There was no victim, and he did not see me committing a crime. He did not even have my tag number until after he pulled me over in front of my house, which is over a half a mile away, he did not follow me, he took a crap shot and went into my neighborhood and found me in the car talking on the phone. I was told pay the ticket or goto jail, no mention of court date. I was threatened with more jail on this stop than the entire rest of my life. I felt it was more than excessive on a non moving, not a safety risk, violation.

Lets drop the hit and run innuendos. I was stopped for a non moving violation and threatened with jail time. There was no crash involved. I was called and told I need to admit to this and that at 11:30 at night.

After receiving the answer I was after this morning, I am asking a moderator to please lock this, after this is over I will ask for it to be reopened and post the story.

telling the suspect you will take him to jail if he does take care of the ticket, in some way, is not a threat - it is the truth.

my guess, IF the cop was smart. he will pull you over EVERY time he sees you committing an offense and cite you EVERY time. He will be nothing but professional and courteous each and every time. he will probably also have the entire stop recorded.

IF the cop is dumb, he will harrass you in the way described in the OP and will have a valid complaint against him.

and you will not be able to file a complaint for the possible actions of said cop. you will get laughed right out of the police station.

Winters, I miss you. End of story!

I am waiting for full story before I develop opinions.

This is my point. Not once have I made a mention of any guilt or lack there of. He was out of line, I was worried about him seeking revenge after a complaint.

I like your disclaimers, but I do take offense to your post. I must have nothing better to do than make up shit. Its not like I'm busy or anything. I didn't incite any of the comments, and really do not appreciate your innuendos.

There was no victim, and he did not see me committing a crime. He did not even have my tag number until after he pulled me over in front of my house, which is over a half a mile away, he did not follow me, he took a crap shot and went into my neighborhood and found me in the car talking on the phone. I was told pay the ticket or goto jail, no mention of court date. I was threatened with more jail on this stop than the entire rest of my life. I felt it was more than excessive on a non moving, not a safety risk, violation.

Lets drop the hit and run innuendos. I was stopped for a non moving violation and threatened with jail time. There was no crash involved. I was called and told I need to admit to this and that at 11:30 at night.

After receiving the answer I was after this morning, I am asking a moderator to please lock this, after this is over I will ask for it to be reopened and post the story.

I hadnt read this yet, I am fully aware that dishonest and unprofessional officers exist. I wish you the best of luck in your journey. In my own opinion and thoughts I would see this to go no where unless you were commited to make this a huge deal though. Like getting media involved.

I dont think people are siding going against you on this, I think it is just hard to develop opinions when it is a hard situation to understand without the whole story. GOOD LUCK!

P.S. I posted pictures of the boat interior for you to look at.

I am waiting for full story before I develop opinions.

I'm with you, but ill say this...Excluding a few high school/college parties a cop has never showed up at my door or the door of any of my friends houses. As you have yet to divulge what fully happened we don't your side of the story, but i do know that cops deal with assholes who give them shit all day erry day and they dont show up at their houses.

If he was out of line, stick it to him. He's a representative of law enforcement and discipline when he puts on that uniform; if he stepped out of line he needs put back and then some.

Well dont post of a public forum. No one said you were lying, just pointing out that I dont have facts. I dont care about the story. To sum up everyones feedback, if you feel that he has crossed the line then raise the concern. Everything else is just noise as far as I am concerned.