Semi-Reboot: 96 Impreza Version 3 STi Swap

Rally Pat

Old thread is gone now, it looks like. I decided to take my car in a slightly different, and easier, direction with the motor setup.

Problems with the previous plan: Few people have EJ22T swaps, and no one has done what I was doing before. IE EJ22T/EJ25 Hybrid, STi Intake, so on and so forth.

The key issue is the fitment of the stock WRX exhaust components with the 2.5 RS heads, they dont clear them. So, I have a new plan.

As soon as my return gets deposited, hopefully this week, I will be ordering an Version 3 STi motor and transmission, the EJ20K. The engine management has not changed, Megasquirt 2. The swap will be completed much sooner this time, as I don't have to track down and mix/match parts. In addition, some of the other stuff I collected will be used on this build as well, like my exhaust. Hopefully though, she will be running here soon.

This also sets up future options for the car as well. The 20K's are rumored to have weak bottom end. The community seems pretty split down the middle about their reliability, but the point is that if the bottom ever lets go, that paves the way for the standard EJ20/EJ257 hybrid build. So either way, I think this is the best route. I get a beefier transmission with this setup too.

Kind of unrelated, but I got a new scoob last night to be my daily. Has blown headgaskets, of course, but she will be running soon.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/MegamanEXE/c89260d0.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/MegamanEXE/aafe78db.jpg

As for the motor, still waiting on the gubment.

Tracking down the motor I want is proving to be much harder than I thought. Between having a hard time finding a reputable importer of engines, and finding the specific engine I want, I can't find a place that has what I am looking for. Lots of places have the EJ20G, which is a similar motor, except it has a different compression ratio and individual coil packs. That won't work unless they include a full harness and an ECU to go with it. Even that sucks, because that limits me to old school socket chip tuning. It won't work with my megasquirt because the version I have doesn't support individual coil packs. As for the 20K, thats hard to find because all of the hardcore Subaru power guys are buying them up for the heads (which are the best flowing EJ heads), and scrapping the blocks. So basically, at the moment, I am just kind of stuck.

coil conversion? just a thought.

It kind of goes beyond doing just that though, there are a bunch of other things that are different too, like sensors and such. I have definitely thought of that though. Would have to come up with a creative way to mount the coil, as the 20G does have the holes for the single coil pack.