Single Malt suggestions?

RC K9

Anybody have suggestions for a good Single Malt Irish Whiskey or Single Malt Scotch? I like other Whisky(ey)'s but am partial to Scotch/Irish, and more often than not, Irish. Thus far my absolute favorite is Bushmill's 10yr Single Malt. Best bang for the buck for me so far. I have had Macallan 12yr and that was good but still prefer the Bushmills. Let me know your suggestions.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on your taste. I like the smokey flavor of the Islay scotches, but I think that is a love it or hate it thing. Laphroaig is one of my personal favorites and it's ~$40 a bottle. Lagavulin 18, I think, is another favorite. It's around $90 a bottle though. There are still a whole lot of them that I haven't tried, but give it time :)

I'll also jump back in that Jameson 12yr is a great buy for the money. Great flavor and about $40 a bottle. That would get my nod in the Irish whiskey realm.

While I do like a little smokey flavor (Johnnie Blue, or Johnnie Swing), I don't normally go as far as Laphroaig which is probably the most peat/smoke you can get in a bottle. I swear it smells like someone added "liquid smoke" to that stuff. I do like some of the other Islay malts though.

As far as smooth as butter goes. I've really enjoyed Jameson Gold, Jameson Vintage, Chivas 21 Royal Salute, and Glenlivet 21....but you'll pay a pretty penny for them. On that front I come back to the French Oak I mentioned earlier for best bank for the buck. Quite smooth with great flavor.

Prefer less smokey. I have had Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, and they werent bad. Little smokier than I prefer, but still enjoyable. I have had some though that I couldn't tolerate. I don't like Johnny W Red or Black. If you guys have actual specifics that would be good. I.E. which lable of the brands listed above. For instance, Macallen has like 20 different labels they offer with varrying qlaities and varrying prices. $40-$15000. $60 or less is what I can afford for a bottle as a bottle lasts me a few months if I exercise self control but I would be willing to spend more if the quality warranted it.

I would like to keep this thread on Irish/Scotch but if you have a great reccomendation on other whisky(ey)'s than I am all ears. For instance last summer I had some Crown Royal Cask No. 16 I believe it was, and that was absolutely amazing.

Talisker

Certainly not inexpensive by any means ha ha.

Rotarted, do you guys do any kind of whiskey/scotch tastings at your work? I would love to hit up a tasting to get an idea of what else out there I enjoy before I spend $60 on a bottle just to find out after the first sip it's not to my taste...

I propose a cigars and scotch club. Smoking jackets required.

I have been in the mood for a good cigar lately...Don Pepin Blue Label or Oliva Serie V. That with a nice scotch sounds rather appealing right now, yes, even at 10:48am.

I have been in the mood for a good cigar lately...Don Pepin Blue Label or Oliva Serie V. That with a nice scotch sounds rather appealing right now, yes, even at 10:48am.

The Serie V is one of my favorites.

The Serie V is one of my favorites.

The serie V is rather tasty. The idea of a cigar and scotch club is rather interesting. Everyone sign up for a different scotch and bring it, so that we could sample many. Obviously I wouldn't push anyone to bring cigars for everyone, but that wouldn't be frowned upon. As far as the smoking jacket, I don't think it's necessary at all :)

Late to the party here. My brother (Smokey) got me into Scotch a few years ago and it's about all I drinik these days.

The Glenlivet 15 yr French Oak is, in my opinion, hands down the best bang for the buck out there. You stated you don't like smokey and you want smooth and this one is right up your alley. At $45-50 it's the best money you can spend on scotch in my opinion. I've got a few friends that swore they wouldn't drink scotch but after having a pour of the French oak 15 year are now fans.

If budget permits, along the same lines as far as enjoyment and flavor but even smoother is Chivas 21 Royal Salute. I prefer Royal Salute over Johnny blue any day.

My go-to out at bars because it's easy to drink and not too expensive at the bar is Glenlivet 12. but if you're buying a bottle to enjoy at home don't cheap out on a 12yr.

Other notables - Johnny Blue is a unique experience. You've got to at least try some. Once you taste it you'll always be able to pick it out of a crowd. Very distinctive, very smokey.

Glenlivet 21 - Wive got me this for christmas last year. It's VERY much like Macallan 18 in my opinion. LOTS of flavor, smooth but doesn't seem as smooth as some of the others because of the power of the flavors in the scotch

Macallan 18 - Another you really have to try, tons of flavor, a unique experience

Anything above $250ish is too rich for my blood.

Thanks for the detailed suggestions Audi. I have had the Bushmills 18 and it was delicious but I would just as soon stick with the 10 for far less. Thus far I am under the impression that older and more expensive does not always translate into a better drink...not for me anyway. I will have to give the 15yr French Oak stuff a try.

I will have to give the 15yr French Oak stuff a try.

first post! Honestly, if you buy it and at first drink don't like it, keep the receipt and I'll buy it for full pop from you.

You're correct that older/more expensive doesn't always equal better to everyone, and you'll develop an group of whiskeys you like, but it does generally make sense that people charge more for their better stuff.

Also try Jameson 12yr, it's around $40 and heads and shoulders above standard Ja-mo (I drink a good amount of Jameson).

first post! Honestly, if you buy it and at first drink don't like it, keep the receipt and I'll buy it for full pop from you.

You're correct that older/more expensive doesn't always equal better to everyone, and you'll develop an group of whiskeys you like, but it does generally make sense that people charge more for their better stuff.

Also try Jameson 12yr, it's around $40 and heads and shoulders above standard Ja-mo (I drink a good amount of Jameson).

I have heard good things about the 12yr Jameson as well.