Single Malt suggestions?

RC K9

The truth. I recently took a tour of Buffalo Trace (who makes Blanton's) and LOVED it. The labels are all hand numbered, and very fucking cool.

Can you buy Blanton's here? I have never seen it and have always had to purchase when in Lexington...

-Marc

Dublin Wine Cellar is where I got my Blantons from

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is a better whiskey than johnnie black. I know it's blended whiskey. It is also amazing.

Sinlge malts are cool to talk about. But, I dont see how i can justify the price... If it's over 40/bottle. Because, then I'd just buy JWB.

Next time you're over you're not leaving until you try the French Oak. You'll never buy that JW Black junk again.

I don't think there is a better whiskey than johnnie black. I know it's blended whiskey. It is also amazing.

Sinlge malts are cool to talk about. But, I dont see how i can justify the price... If it's over 40/bottle. Because, then I'd just buy JWB.

I'm not above blended whiskeys at all, but JWB is not good. I have owned and drank bottles of Johnnie Gold and Swing, and Blue is good too, but Black, Green, and Red are NOT!

French Oak on 'the list'. Where is the matching cigar thread?

Started by your's truly...

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94310&highlight=cigar

and BTW, I also am not above blends, I have just never had one that I enjoyed. I am totally open to suggestions of good blends. It's just that the blends I have had are not very smooth, or have way too much burnt wood/peat taste.

I'm a fan of JWB, perfect amount of smoky for me. I also like The Macallen some Glenlivet. For me they rate about the same...

I had a taste of Laphroaig 10 year this weekend. Very interesting. I think I'll pick up a bottle

http://shmaa.site40.net/laphroaig.jpg

I'm a fan of JWB, perfect amount of smoky for me. I also like The Macallen some Glenlivet. For me they rate about the same...

I had a taste of Laphroaig 10 year this weekend. Very interesting. I think I'll pick up a bottle

http://shmaa.site40.net/laphroaig.jpg

I bought a bottle of Laphroaig 10 year a few months ago on the recommendation of the liquor store employee...I do not enjoy it at all.

Headed back to the islands soon and trying to decide what to bring back with me this time. There's always some really interesting offerings to be had.

May just get another bottle of Chivas Royal Salute. Suprised more of you here haven't tried it.

I've had a few more pours of the Glenlivet 25 year my wife got me for Christmas recently too, it really reminds me of Macallen 18 in that it has a TON of flavor, soo much going on there it's a different experience each time. Another one of those I'm not sure it's really worth the money but it's very good none the less.

Can't ever let the french oak run out though! I have 2 bottles of it on hand currently.

if you like rum ( i mean GOOD rum) and have a chance to buy it, get yourself a bottle of Barbancourt from Haiti...but I'm biased

3-star if if you like it to burn all the way down

5-star if you want a smoother drink

Pango if you want mango in the rum (I no likey this)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2ZXSsLYde8U/TD25-5NLF0I/AAAAAAAADEY/M9YVIg3pSKg/s1600/barbancourt01web.jpg

• 2 months later...

I feel it's my duty to bump this up because of the following.

I had a client that gave me a bottle of Glenmorangie 18 as a tip for detailing his car for him. This is a bottle that wasn't even on my radar, probably would have never tried this if he wouldn't have given it to me. I have to say this one is instantly one may very well be my new favorite scotch even over my coveted Royal Salute. Fairly reasonably priced, 18 year, lots of fruit hints in there, great full taste without being harsh in the least. Super Smooth.

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-7401.aspx

• 1 month later...

Anobdy have experience with any of the Balvenie lineup?

I've purchased and drank a bottle of The Balvenie 12yr Doublewood and 15yr Single Barrel. I've also Had a pour of the Balvenie 21yr. All were great and I would recommend to anyone.

For the good of the thread I recently picked up a bottle of The Glenrothes Select Reserve and I enjoy it.

Just killed off these Glenlivets from the Super Bowl and the past couple of nights. I'm going to have to try this french oak blend.

I'm no expert, but I definitely enjoyed the 18yr over the 12yr. I had to see what a $20 bottle of scotch tasted like (Speyburn) and it's ok.....probably won't buy it again.

I think I am more of a Glenlivet or Glenfiddich fan for sure.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg190/scaled.php?server=190&filename=imagejgn.jpg&res=medium

Just killed off these Glenlivets from the Super Bowl and the past couple of nights. I'm going to have to try this french oak blend.

I'm no expert, but I definitely enjoyed the 18yr over the 12yr. I had to see what a $20 bottle of scotch tasted like (Speyburn) and it's ok.....probably won't buy it again.

I think I am more of a Glenlivet or Glenfiddich fan for sure.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg190/scaled.php?server=190&filename=imagejgn.jpg&res=medium

See, I thought the Speyburn was phenomenal for $20. Last time I had it I think it was actually a bit less but liquor prices have definitly risen over the last couple years.

See, I thought the Speyburn was phenomenal for $20. Last time I had it I think it was actually a bit less but liquor prices have definitly risen over the last couple years.

True, it wasn't THAT bad......just prefer the better stuff I guess. I guess since I can afford the good stuff, I'll stick with that :shrug:

Just wanted to see what the $20 stuff was like, because a few guys said that I should try it.

I have had several $20 bottles, and IMHO the Speyburn was much better, but that's because it was less smokey/peaty than the others I had. I agree with you though, for $40-$50 you can have a MUCH better experience.

I personally prefer Irish over Scotch, and got into a discussion with a gentlemna that works at the local liquor store here about why Scotch selection is so great and Irish is so limited. As with most things...marketing. People started putting Scotch in movies, so demand for Scotch in the US has continually risen over the last few decades. I personally would like to see a much greater selection of Irish Whiskey, but I don't see that happening any time soon unfortunately.