Dreamweaver and Captivate

gaewsky1

Does anyone use these programs? If so, what was the best way you learned how to use them? Books, videos, some other way?

Thanks.

I have an older copy of DreamWeaver, but need to learn to use it better :(

For the most part I think it is fairly easy to you, but I got some books to help out. If you can find some guide videos those would be the biggest help I think.

Books can be some help, but I found that just messing around with it for hours taught me most of the basics. I'm a better hands-on learner.

Obviously it would be even better to have someone who has alot of experience go over a project or two with you.

For dreamweaver...do you know any HTML? I was taught HTML before I ever used dreamweaver, now I like using dreamweaver because design view will allow you to make quick changes or additions. I just kind of learned to use it as I went along.

Dreamweaver is a horrible wysywig editor. I suggest learing HTML & CSS inside and out and then use Dreamweaver in code view. The built-in FTP and code-hinting is nice. If you want just a code editor I suggest TextMate or Text Wrangler.

There are tons of great HTML & CSS resources out there. Lynda.com has good (paid) tutorials as well.

http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

http://css-tricks.com

Dreamweaver is a horrible wysywig editor. I suggest learing HTML & CSS inside and out and then use Dreamweaver in code view. The built-in FTP and code-hinting is nice. If you want just a code editor I suggest TextMate or Text Wrangler.

There are tons of great HTML & CSS resources out there. Lynda.com has good (paid) tutorials as well.

http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

http://css-tricks.com

This. Netbeans is also much better than dreamweaver and it's completely free, for a syntax highlighting code editor (does not have live preview). Dreamweaver blows when it comes to do doing divs and advanced css techniques.

This. Netbeans is also much better than dreamweaver and it's completely free, for a syntax highlighting code editor (does not have live preview). Dreamweaver blows when it comes to do doing divs and advanced css techniques.

Its for a possible job. So they use those programs.

Hmm well without reading the job description it may be tough to give you advice.

If the listing is for a job and sometimes you MIGHT be updating an existing site, etc. Knowing how to get around Dreamweaver may get you by.

But, if the job is for a web position where you will be building sites from scratch or making big changes to existing sites then a listing that says the candidate must "know Dreamweaver" is a red flag -- because you don't need ANY program like that to build a site. They should be asking for someone with strong HTML/CSS skills, PHP, etc.

The point is this... if all you can do in Dreamweaver is click on something and change it within the constraints of the system, what are you going to do when they ask for something that Dreamweaver can't do?

Also, browser compatibility -- you need to be a code monkey to troubleshoot what the site will look like in:

IE 6, IE 7, IE8, IE9 (soon), FF, Safari/Chrome

Often you will need separate CSS files to handle multiple browsers. Dreamweaver will not be able to do that for you.

Hmm well without reading the job description it may be tough to give you advice.

If the listing is for a job and sometimes you MIGHT be updating an existing site, etc. Knowing how to get around Dreamweaver may get you by.

But, if the job is for a web position where you will be building sites from scratch or making big changes to existing sites then a listing that says the candidate must "know Dreamweaver" is a red flag -- because you don't need ANY program like that to build a site. They should be asking for someone with strong HTML/CSS skills, PHP, etc.

The point is this... if all you can do in Dreamweaver is click on something and change it within the constraints of the system, what are you going to do when they ask for something that Dreamweaver can't do?

Also, browser compatibility -- you need to be a code monkey to troubleshoot what the site will look like in:

IE 6, IE 7, IE8, IE9 (soon), FF, Safari/Chrome

Often you will need separate CSS files to handle multiple browsers. Dreamweaver will not be able to do that for you.

Its going to be updating existing sites, fixing hyperlinks pretty basic stuff within Dreamweaver is what I'm told.