Does this 'stang exist?

Draco-REX

So, been thinking a little out of the box for a new RallyCross car. I'm in the mood for a change of pace so I'm thinking of a RWD car since it's just the wrong platform for the job. :D And of the choices I've come up with, a Mustang fits most of the criteria I have while being a bit on the absurd side of things (which makes it all the better).

I want something:

RWD

• Inexpensive
  • Cheap to fix
  • Easy to work on
  • Reasonably tough

The Mustang fits these conditions pretty well once I thought about it. It doesn't have an independant rear suspension, but this won't be a competition build, just a fun diversion.

(F-bodies have too much overhang front and rear, sorry guys. I'd be losing bumpers like crazy.)

So, from what little I know about Mustangs, this is what I think I want:

• Foxbody (fastback or notch doesn't matter, I think the LX is lightest?)
  • Manual
  • Stock LSD
  • Unmodified, or minimal mods that can be reverted cheaply.
  • Cheap ($3000 or less)
  • Solid body/frame (cosmetic rust is fine)
  • Interior can be trashed as long as it's present.

So, would I be able to find something like this? Or am I looking for a unicorn?

there are a couple of fox bodies converted to 03-04 cobra irs on craigslist in your price range

The problem with that is the conversion would put me in Modified. And as the classing stands now, that would put me up against FWD cars that are far better in the dirt than this would be. I'd like to start in stock and keep the car cheap and simple since I have a balls-out build already.

I guess my biggest concern is the stock LSD. How can I tell if the car came with one from the factory. Is there a build plate on the firewall? Or someplace else I can check? ANd what would I check for?

Wait for Pat to chime in here, I can't remember his name for the life of me, but there is a guy that runs a Fox in Rally America in the RWD class really successfully. Let me see if I can find his name. I may be butchering this info, but Pat (drinkitdown) knows who it is....

Mark Utecht

How about a FB RX7? Don't know if you want to mess with a Rotary as a fun car. It's not fun when your cheap car needs fixed all the time.

Or a 944 would be fun if parts weren't so damn expensive. We have a 944 at the shop with low compression in 2 cylinders that can be had for next to nothing.

The RX7 would be fun, I've always wanted to play with a dorito. But there already is a FB driver that shows up to the local events. He's pretty much got a lock on the crazy wankel angle.

The 944 would have good absurdity value, but the cost of repairs would be painful.

I want something:

RWD

• Inexpensive
  • Cheap to fix
  • Easy to work on
  • Reasonably tough

So, would I be able to find something like this? Or am I looking for a unicorn?

Probably not something you'd be interested in, but I'll toss it out. What about a retired crown vic? It should fit all 4 of the criteria listed. Heavier than a stang but there is a lot of weight that could be ditched.

Probably not something you'd be interested in, but I'll toss it out. What about a retired crown vic? It should fit all 4 of the criteria listed. Heavier than a stang but there is a lot of weight that could be ditched.

There's a guy who runs a Vic in MI. I think he just stands on the pedal and lets the back end do what it wants. :)

The weight is a big issue for me. And if I strip it, I'm back to the Modified class.

what do the rules say about if you were to run a 2.3 and mill the head way down( say 11:1/12:1 cr)? The 2.3 n/a with a carb can make 250hp pretty cheap with factory parts and in a 2500pd fairmont it would do well plus they are foxbodys with a longer wheel base so you can upgrade brakes and sway bars with factory parts and no body would be the wiser....

what do the rules say about if you were to run a 2.3 and mill the head way down( say 11:1/12:1 cr)? The 2.3 n/a with a carb can make 250hp pretty cheap with factory parts and in a 2500pd fairmont it would do well plus they are foxbodys with a longer wheel base so you can upgrade brakes and sway bars with factory parts and no body would be the wiser....

Can't touch the engine or you're in Mod.

Did all 5.0 foxbodies come with a rear LSD?

The RX7 would be fun, I've always wanted to play with a dorito. But there already is a FB driver that shows up to the local events. He's pretty much got a lock on the crazy wankel angle.

is his name PJ?

Utecht rallies a Mustang? Crud... I hate that guy.

Whats wrong with him? Hes a long time family friend and a great guy. Hes also pretty much the expert in Mustang rallying.

http://www.comicozzie.com/gallery2/d/25834-3/IMGP4081_001.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX-oDR50au4

yes, well I know the 8.8 5.0's did so anything newer than 86 will have it.

This.

Also, beware of swapped 4-cyl cars. If not completely upgraded they may still have a junk-ass 7.5 rear and even smaller brakes. Most of that stuff can be had for fairly cheap, but look for these things before you buy and factor that into purchase price if it still needs done.

Edit: Forgot to address your primary question. Yes, I think such a thing exists.

Whats wrong with him? Hes a long time family friend and a great guy. Hes also pretty much the expert in Mustang rallying.

I, and most of the other competitors, were less than impressed with his behavior at the 2008 National RallyCross Championship. When his actions were called into light, the situation was not handled on the up-and-up and smelled strongly of Good 'ol Boy-ism with him and the rest of the RXB. There are many very long threads about this on various forums with e-mails that back up what those involved (and left out of the final decision process) have said.

He might be a great guy off the field, but as a competitor I wouldn't trust him farther than I could throw his car. Sorry.

This.

Also, beware of swapped 4-cyl cars. If not completely upgraded they may still have a junk-ass 7.5 rear and even smaller brakes. Most of that stuff can be had for fairly cheap, but look for these things before you buy and factor that into purchase price if it still needs done.

Edit: Forgot to address your primary question. Yes, I think such a thing exists.

Cool. I know how to tell from the VIN what engine it came with. Thanks for the warning.

Another couple questions: Were the LSDs mechanical, or clutch-pack? If clutch-pack, are they cheap to rebuild? Or better to replace?