project: save the toyota!

Shawn89

Yeah it is flux core. I can weld much better with a gas welder but I don't have one. This one works ok but it welds funny sometimes, and if the surface you welding isn't perfectly clean thing get real fun lol. Ill be welding the rest of the frame together with a stick welder though. I can honistly weld better with that to.

is that flux core? those welds look a little cold for 1/8" plate.

I tryed turning the heat up and wire speed down, it helped a little but I gave it the ol' big hammer stress test. I beat the dickens out of the thing and it was ok haha. That crossbar I was able to stand my 240lbs ass on it and it didn't break ha.

AHH. put in 8 hours non stop today. I got the old frame cut out and the new one in and stuck but not welded all the way. I was going to use boat bottom paint because it is really tuff paint. but at 30 bucks a quart...yeah. so i got some black farm and implement paint that should do the job. its oil base so it should keep the rust out. im super tired and i think im gonna have a few glasses of vodka and pass out. Tomorow is going to be a VERY long day. still so much work to do.

LOTS OF PICS COMMING TOMOROW!!!!!!!!!!

I use flux core with a heat setting of 2 and a wire speed setting of 3on .032 wire. 1/8th" steel definetely needs to be pre heated with a torch. You welds look like the wire is being pushed hard, my welds look like that when the mig isnt set up correctly. Hope this helps.

I use flux core with a heat setting of 2 and a wire speed setting of 3on .032 wire. 1/8th" steel definetely needs to be pre heated with a torch. You welds look like the wire is being pushed hard, my welds look like that when the mig isnt set up correctly. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I don't know to much about welder settings for differnt metals.

• 2 weeks later...