Bore sighting

jerrodh

How do you zero in your guns guys? I am new to the idea and want to know if and what lasers work well? Or are you a more mechanical sighter? Or do you just take it to the gunshop?

Thanks. Precise details on what I should be looking for in a product would be nice. And why I am not cheap I don't have a fortune to spend.

Most my shooting will be within 100 yards for now. Don't really plan on owning any high powered sporting or hunting rifles anytime soon.

Primarly my first purpose would be for use with my SKS that I have scoped. I am well aware it is not the BEST rifle to scope but I've got good deals on everything I have for the gun, and enjoy the scope so I am looking to learn to bore sight it myself better, and quickly. I also enjoy cleaning to full disassembly everytime I shoot as well so i will be re-boresighting it often.

First time I install a scope I use the bore sighter at 50 yards and get it close, then I use sighting targets at 100 yards to get it fine tuned. The bore sighter at 50 yards is usually pretty close as crazy as it seems

Bore sighting will get you in the neighborhood, but not dead on by any means. If you're using an optic or a form of laser/IR illuminator then bore sighting will help pretty well. We used to bore sight our 25mm cannons on our Bradley's all the time, but the rounds never came close. Best way to sight in is from a fixed position like a rest, bench or a sandbag. As in the case with AR15's, there are targets the military has invented for such purposes. Even ACOG's have their own bore sight targets aswell. I use the M16 targets quite a bit for zeroing some of my rifles, but there is plenty out there similar in nature to help out.

I have a Savage Arm's 223 rifle that I used a laser bore sight to sight in the scope. I got it online and the laser is the shape of a 223 round. Just pop it in and that got me pretty close. Took it to the range, checked the sighting again and then fine tuned it to me. I normally double check it before every trip to the range.