Looking to make a motard

Sturg1647545502

Ive been rolling the idea around for about a year or so now to convert a big bore dirt bike(600 and bigger that has a battery all ready) into an around the town bike.

Although ive ridden my fair share of bikes, ive never owned a dirt bike. What are some things to look for in buying used?

Other than throwing street tires/new wheels on, what sort of cost should i factor in when converting it to mainly street

I bought a dual sport Suzuki DR 650 and put a high compression piston in it. Just waiting to find a good deal on some streetbike wheels to put on on. Going with a dualsport first, instead of a dirtbike, is good because its already street legal but usually ends up being a little more expensive in the long run, mainly because they have less peppy carburetors and the wheels still need to be changed out. If Suzuki made a Supermoto 650, I would have bought one of those instead. I do love my bike though!! Thumpertalk is a good resource too

Dont get any DR650 crap. Get an XR650R, never buy again. This is the bike that won the baja 1000 like 10 times. DR650s are nutless compared to an XR650R.

Get one of these, the on road Baja Designs conversion kit, and get some used sumo wheels off of supermotojunkie.com. You'll need a brake conversion kit and a larger stator too I believe.

Dont get any DR650 crap. Get an XR650R, never buy again. This is the bike that won the baja 1000 like 10 times. DR650s are nutless compared to an XR650R.

Get one of these, the on road Baja Designs conversion kit, and get some used sumo wheels off of supermotojunkie.com. You'll need a brake conversion kit and a larger stator too I believe.

There are cheaper ways then the Baja light kit.

you don't really "need" a big brake for "street" use

You wont need a bigger stator.

Wheels can be had cheap using your factory hubs instead of buying a set.

Dr650 is 20 year old technology.

A 650 (dr or xr) on a track will make u lol

There are cheaper ways then the Baja light kit.

you don't really "need" a big brake for "street" use

You wont need a bigger stator.

Wheels can be had cheap using your factory hubs instead of buying a set.

Dr650 is 20 year old technology.

A 650 (dr or xr) on a track will make u lol

not big brake, brake relocator I believe. idk about the baja kit, but everyone uses it. kinda like how every mullet wielding fbody driver likes FAST intakes.

not big brake, brake relocator I believe. idk about the baja kit, but everyone uses it. kinda like how every mullet wielding fbody driver likes FAST intakes.

What your talking about is a bracket to move the caliper.

You need the bracket with a 320mm rotor.

again a 320mm rotor is not needed for street use. Factory brake will suffice.

I've owned both. The street model XR is just as laggy as the DR due to EPA carb regulations. Jetting and pipes help a ton. I would say that the XR's suspension feels better.

So, which bike did you pick up?

in for pics and its a bit cold isnt it

He took the craigslist ad down before I could copypasta them on here...Ill certainly snap some when he drops it off monday. Ill also thrown in step by step instrucions on how to douigie. Its nothkng special, but it has a solid motor and is coming from what I can tell a solid owner.