Slipping

dsm_sleeper

I have a 08 Evo with just under 12k miles on it. After sitting all night and when I am on the highway driving it and give it gas to try to accelerate quickly [usually around 3.2k RPMs the RPMs will jump up about 1200 and then just as quickly they will drop down to around they were when I first gave it gas and then climb up as normal.

Then, if I give it gas again, the RPMs will jump again but not as much as the first time. The more that I do it, the less the RPMs jump.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

The dealer wants to drop the trans to inspect it but if it is found to be just a worn disc I will need to come up with $180 for the disassembly to cover the tech's time. If it turns out to be a worn disc, I wouldn't want to pay the dealer labor rates for install of a new clutch.

What are the chances that it is just the disc that is worn?

My theory is that there is a seal leaking oil onto the clutch disc causing it to slip. That would explain why is gets better rather than worse the more I drive it: Because the oil gets worn off and allows the clutch to grab better.

Thanks!

Edited by dsm_sleeper

Should be an inspection port on the trans somewhere IMO. You could look in to see if everything is covered in oil and go from there.

After reading your post, it actually reads as if you are seeing a increase in RPM but the car does not accelerate accordingly or at the same rate. If you are sure the car is revving without moving Id say you are on the right track. If the car is revving without cause but moving accordingly, Id say you have an issue in your IAC, TPS or etc.

Hope this helps.

After reading your post, it actually reads as if you are seeing a increase in RPM but the car does not accelerate accordingly or at the same rate. If you are sure the car is revving without moving Id say you are on the right track.

Thanks for the reply. That's what it's doing. It kinda sounds like an automatic changing gears when it happens. While moving, like on the highway, when I give it a decent amount of gas to accelerate the RPMs jump up as if it is slipping and then it seems to catch and the RPMs drop to just below where they started and then the car accelerates as it should.

I've also noticed that the clutch seems to engage a lot smoother than it should.

So if it is slipping because the disc is worn wouldn't it continue to slip throughout the RPMs until I let off? It seems to slip LESS the longer I drive it.

You cannot, I repeat cannot fix this issue with the trans on the car anyhow.

Man up some $$ take it to a shop drop the trans and if its a seal replace it. clutch replace it, Trans send it to Bushur and rebuild it.

Problem solved.

Its a car when somethin breaks you gotta fix it if not its gonna get worse.

Maybe I wasn't clear.

Since the car is still under warranty, if it is an input shaft or main seal leaking then it and the clutch would be replaced free under warranty. It it's just a worn disc then I would have to pay. I would not have the dealer replace it unless it is covered under warranty. Either I would replace it if I have time or I would take it up to Shepherd to have him put probably a Spec stage II clutch in.

My buddy had a 09 evo did the same thing. He took it to a Mitsu dealer with 7,000 miles clutch completely shit out. They told him it was from abuse and he would have to pay for it. He asked to see the old clutch and they said it was already sent back to Mitsubishi for further inspection. Wouldnt even work with him on it. They fixed it and he told them to go fuck themselves and traded it in on a new 5.0