GTO stock air intakes are restrictive

DTM Brian

Blue Graph = With air intake removed from throttle body

Red Graph = With stock tube and air box in place.

Both pulls made at 190 degrees. Only difference is the MAF was turned off and ran in SD when the tube was removed.

MAP readings with tube installed at 6000 rpm's = 93 KPA

MAP readings with open throttle body at 6000 rpms's = 96 KPA

3 KPA = 15 HP. :)

http://76.181.50.38:50001/Dyno%20Graphs%20and%20Pictures./Dyno%20Graphs/2004%20GTO%20-%20Maf%20vs%20SD%20without%20intake%20tube.jpg

embarassing that GM claimed these cars were at 400hp. i'm assuming this is an ls2 car. my m6 ls2 gto made 344rwhp with a k&n intake kit and a catback (no tune). then nearly 380rwhp after brian's magic. the same day i was at the dyno, an '04 cobra with the same mods (intake and catback), made 409 rwhp with no tune whatsoever. i still love the gto though.

good work as always brian.

embarassing that GM claimed these cars were at 400hp. i'm assuming this is an ls2 car. my m6 ls2 gto made 344rwhp with a k&n intake kit and a catback (no tune). then nearly 380rwhp after brian's magic. the same day i was at the dyno, an '04 cobra with the same mods (intake and catback), made 409 rwhp with no tune whatsoever. i still love the gto though.

good work as always brian.

why is that embarasing even if its a ls2 that graph would show it being right at 400 hp figuring 15-18% driveline loss? and if its a ls1 its far from embarasing

Can't agree with you more, not sure why Pontiac did that set up? That was my very first mod to my Goat, noticed a difference right away. I really don't know how air even gets to the throttle body with the stock air cleaner? Now my Vararam setup is now a totally different animal.

why is that embarasing even if its a ls2 that graph would show it being right at 400 hp figuring 15-18% driveline loss? and if its a ls1 its far from embarasing

320rwhp does not equate to 400 at the flywheel---unless the car is an automatic with 44" mudbogger tires. i was a little disappointed (in my car)with 344rwhp considering i had a catback and intake---i figured the car should be running about 420 at the motor. 344rwhp is no where near 420 at the motor, consindering my car is manual (i consider a manual to lose 11-15% max from the motor to the wheels).

the '04 cobra that was dynoed after mine had the same mods that i did (intake, and catback only), and put down 409rwhp. that's a motor that ford advertised as having 390hp.

edit---i see the car is a 5.7 auto---so those are good numbers