Texas Mile - Another big crash

Brandon

It should be there responsibility because if someone does die you are going to get a TON of un-wanted attention questioning the SAFETY of your events. SAFETY is and damn well better be your number 1 priority. As it is with all other forms of racing....

They have met with and talked to many racing organizations to come up with the rules they have in place. They know what they are doing and have waivers for anything outside those rules....

Anything beyond that and where do you stop? Many production cars are in the 170's now days, what speed do you then require a full 6-point cage and race car status?

It started as a safe event for people to race there "street" cars. Now you would essentially make everything a "race" car which is against everything it was started for. They have an UNLIMITED class for a reason which requires all those things....

+1

I'm sure putting on an event of this size requires the organizers to carry some sort of insurance. Once people start getting hurt or killed the insurance rates will get be so high the event won't be able to be put on any more. That's basically what happened to rally racing in this country, but RallyAmerica's been doing a decent job.

Only problem, where does it end? You can have all the rules, regs, precautions in the world and people can/do still get hurt killed. There is RISK in EVERYTHING...

When the Lambo crashed it made CNN.

Link?

Yeah, I understand the point you're making. Where do the rules end? And I agree. In my head, if you sign the waiver you are accepting the risk and absolving the race organizers of any wrong doing, but we live in a world where this isn't always the case. People will sue over everything and lawyers will always find ways around waivers. I would hate to see such a cool event ruined because of the few people that want to be stupid. I honestly don't care if they have a cage or not, but when they reach a certain speed they should be requiring tires that can withstand those speeds. Otherwise, you're just playing with fire.

I can't find a link to it on CNN.com, but we constantly have headline news on in the break rooms at work and they ran the story and showed the pictures a few times. IIRC, it was also in the bottom bar with all the headlines - "Lamborghini crashes at 250 mph..."

It is pretty stupid that some tracks allow things like this to happen. I know most if not all NHRA sanctioned tracks have pretty strict rules, like trails for instance. 13.99 or faster requires a helmut, and 11.49 you must have a cage. Dont follow the rules, you dont race. As much as i would love to be able to run 10's in my car and not have a cage (i hate crawling in and out of cars with them), i realize how important they are and would not do it.

First Video has been posted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtPOI4hkCKA&sns=em

EDIT: Looks like a tire blew in which they had ignored the warnings from MT :(

See this post http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1577062379-post48.html

Regards

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/automobile/themes/car-tires/summer-tires/contisportcontact-vmax/contisportcontact-vmax.html

Someone should really contact Continental about being a sponser so they can say they're "the official tire" of high speed racing. I would have emailed the guy in South Carolina already, but I don't work there anymore.

Yeah, I understand the point you're making. Where do the rules end? And I agree. In my head, if you sign the waiver you are accepting the risk and absolving the race organizers of any wrong doing, but we live in a world where this isn't always the case. People will sue over everything and lawyers will always find ways around waivers. I would hate to see such a cool event ruined because of the few people that want to be stupid. I honestly don't care if they have a cage or not, but when they reach a certain speed they should be requiring tires that can withstand those speeds. Otherwise, you're just playing with fire.

I can't find a link to it on CNN.com, but we constantly have headline news on in the break rooms at work and they ran the story and showed the pictures a few times. IIRC, it was also in the bottom bar with all the headlines - "Lamborghini crashes at 250 mph..."

Only problem is there are very few tires rated for those speeds. To much liability from the manufactures just for tires. I know bikes they only have a speed rating up to 186mph and Bill has gone 278mph on them...:eek:

Who gives a fuck people back in the day ran all out at bonneville with little to no protection. Let em do their thing.

Have you been to Bonneville recently? You can't do anything like that now. They have rules for rules for rules and it's VERY VERY strict...not to mention you have to qualify and run target speeds to go faster. You can't just go out first pass and run WFO like at Texas...

I can't speak for the Texas Mile, but when I ran my bike at Maxton it had more of a CR track rental feel than a major NHRA or Bonneville type of event. This was with good reason because this was an event put on by racers for racers.......not by promoters and lawyers. It's worth pointing out that the track rentals by this group and others I've attended always loosely follow the track rules and many times people don't get kicked off the track for breaking them.

The group at Maxton is a very concerned with safety and have had an excellent record when it comes to crashes but as time goes on, the egos go up and people bring out all kinds of high powered equipment in an attempt to put the records way out of reach. Then there are the "racers" that lie and say their car will only go so fast so they don't need certain equipment when they know they plan to go much faster; this is like when someone sprays on their last run for the night at the strip and gets booted for no cage.

I can't speak for the Texas Mile, but when I ran my bike at Maxton it had more of a CR track rental feel than a major NHRA or Bonneville type of event. This was with good reason because this was an event put on by racers for racers.......not by promoters and lawyers. It's worth pointing out that the track rentals by this group and others I've attended always loosely follow the track rules and many times people don't get kicked off the track for breaking them.

The group at Maxton is a very concerned with safety and have had an excellent record when it comes to crashes but as time goes on, the egos go up and people bring out all kinds of high powered equipment in an attempt to put the records way out of reach. Then there are the "racers" that lie and say their car will only go so fast so they don't need certain equipment when they know they plan to go much faster; this is like when someone sprays on their last run for the night at the strip and gets booted for no cage.

When did you go to Maxton?

They have more rules and are a lot harder on the rules. Did you race your bike or something else?

Tracks boot, people CR does not. I have seen Trails tell people at one of our track rentals to slow down or you are done.

Only problem is there are very few tires rated for those speeds. To much liability from the manufactures just for tires. I know bikes they only have a speed rating up to 186mph and Bill has gone 278mph on them...:eek:

Yeah, that's why I say someone should contact Conti about being a sponsor. Their Vmax tire is certified to 360 kph (224 mph) and they have done several high speed trials with tuned Porsche's to prove it. It looks like they only come in 3 sizes though, so that doesn't help everyone. The good thing though is tires are rated for a SUSTAINED speed, not a burst of speed. So this tire certified to 224 mph has gone extended periods of time at those speeds and could handle short periods of time at higher speeds.

Street car tires capable of going these speeds, like you said, are almost non-existant. I would just use caution if you know you're on a tire that isn't capable, and also know that each time you take the tire over it's capable speed you are weakening it. It may do 280 mph once or twice for short bursts, but the strength of the tire is deminished with each run.

Wagner the concept is the same as a CR track rental. The "track" in this case is the owner of the airport or stretch of pavement much like Trails is the owner of their track. The organizing body in the top speed events plays much the same role as CR does at it's track rentals. I'm more sensitive about bike related issues and watching people run 9's in jeans at a track rental isn't much different than seeing a car run at Texas with no cage.

Got-Busa - I raced at Maxton in 2002 and again in 2006. I enjoyed it and never had an issue with the rules (for bikes at least) but didn't enjoy the long drive for only 1 run on Saturday due to Hot Rod Magazine being there. 2002 was a lot more fun (even though I didn't have a clue what I was doing) because all the street bike guys were just getting into it and I met a lot of the big names down there as the were just getting started.