Texas Mile - Another big crash

Brandon

Well I have been saying this stuff was inevitable with the amount of people jumping into this race with too much HP and too little .... oh engineering, these accidents are intense, and it is good no one has been hurt worse.

This year it was Hinson supercars 106mm C6Z06 that went tumblinghttp://autospotters.com/_pictures/TXMile3-11/c6TXmile1.JPG

http://autospotters.com/_pictures/TXMile3-11/c6TXmile2.JPG

http://autospotters.com/_pictures/TXMile3-11/Hinsonc63.jpg

More here http://autospotters.wordpress.com/2011/03/26/hinson-supercars-turbo-c5-corvette-texas-mile-mishap-driver-walked-a-way/

Regards

Why don't they require a car of that kind of power and speed to have a full cage?

No kidding. Doing 220 mph in a car with just a roll bar is stupid. It that's the rules they're going to play by, then it's only a matter of time until someone is killed.

If you own and write a "blog" one would think you could spell "away".

Hell, most bloggers can't spell blog...

Forget requirements for a roll cage...I'd have one installed just because of common sense and a sharp desire to not get killed to death. It does have a hoop...but look how the windshield structure folded and the roof tore off. Not good.

Hell, most bloggers can't spell blog...

Forget requirements for a roll cage...I'd have one installed just because of common sense and a sharp desire to not get killed to death. It does have a hoop...but look how the windshield structure folded and the roof tore off. Not good.

Yeah, and also look how the factory roll hoop is pushed in farther than the drivers headrest. The driver was completely open to the elements.

As long as people sign the release, the cage is up to them. It's kind of like racing the Isle of Man, every year someone will die but it's a thrill ride. I am more suprised that no one has died during the street races at the TX2K events.

As long as people sign the release, the cage is up to them. It's kind of like racing the Isle of Man, every year someone will die but it's a thrill ride. I am more suprised that no one has died during the street races at the TX2K events.

That is just darwinism at work, weed out the dumb ones.

Why don't they require a car of that kind of power and speed to have a full cage?

It is not there responsibility. If you are dumb enough to go out and race without a cage then you suffer the consequences. They have very strict rules and sometimes more isn't always better/safer...

http://www.texasmile.net/pdf/TexasMile-SafetyRequirementsAutomobiles2011.pdf

Same at a private 1/4-mile rental. There are plenty of cars going faster than 11.49 without a cage or even 13.49 verts...

The main issue I've seen from mishaps is people and TIRES! People are using street tires or everyday tires to race. The speeds heat/expansion/etc.. are BIG issues for 1-mile high speeds. Just about every, if not every Corvette incident at Texas has been a result of tire FAILURE!

It is not there responsibility. If you are dumb enough to go out and race without a cage then you suffer the consequences. They have very strict rules and sometimes more isn't always better/safer...

http://www.texasmile.net/pdf/TexasMile-SafetyRequirementsAutomobiles2011.pdf

It should be there responsibility because if someone does die you are going to get a TON of un-wanted attention questioning the SAFETY of your events. SAFETY is and damn well better be your number 1 priority. As it is with all other forms of racing....

It should be there responsibility because if someone does die you are going to get a TON of un-wanted attention questioning the SAFETY of your events. SAFETY is and damn well better be your number 1 priority. As it is with all other forms of racing....

+1

I'm sure putting on an event of this size requires the organizers to carry some sort of insurance. Once people start getting hurt or killed the insurance rates will get be so high the event won't be able to be put on any more. That's basically what happened to rally racing in this country, but RallyAmerica's been doing a decent job.

Let 'em run what they brung. It's funny how so many people complain about rules and then complain that there aren't any. If you are 18 and over, you sign your life on the line when you take that drive.

The only good excuse I heard in here for implementing rule changes was due to possible bad exposure and attention. And you know what, that's a shitty, but true excuse. ONLY becuz people lack responsibility and when something bad happens someoene wants to blame anyone but themselves or their significant other, family member, etc. It's always 'someone else's' fault. So, the track will receive bad publicity and more rules will be implemented and so on and so forth becuz the ignorant and./or stupid few and irresonsible are catered to.

Let 'em run what they brung. It's funny how so many people complain about rules and then complain that there aren't any. If you are 18 and over, you sign your life on the line when you take that drive.

The only good excuse I heard in here for implementing rule changes was due to possible bad exposure and attention. And you know what, that's a shitty, but true excuse. ONLY becuz people lack responsibility and when something bad happens someoene wants to blame anyone but themselves or their significant other, family member, etc. It's always 'someone else's' fault. So, the track will receive bad publicity and more rules will be implemented and so on and so forth becuz the ignorant and./or stupid few and irresonsible are catered to.

Right and those are going to be the people with big money, and no driving experience that want to show up and run their blank check ride in the standing mile for internet/bragging rights. Sure there are some serious drivers and machines there. As we have all seen there are the real high horsepower cars that get in trouble when "the customer" takes the wheel.

AKA more money than ability. Rules are there to protect the ignorant and the serious/dedicated alike. Keeps the ignorant alive (unfortunately) BUT more imprtantly keeps the event going for the serious people.

When the Lambo crashed it made CNN.