Thoughts/Comments on 1970-80's Triumph Spitfire cars

Rustlestiltskin

I see these cars online for sale all the time in good running condition from 1k-4k and was just wondering if anybody on here had any history with these little sports cars. I had old convertables before and wouldn't mind just having a little car like this for a summer cruiser to just drop the top and go drive somewhere.

Let me know guys if you had any experience with them.

thanks,

Paul

Drove one a long time ago and yes just a cruiser. Don't recal electronics on these being anything like the older Jags (Lots of issues with eletronics on those). Motors remind me of the old MG's slow and prone to breaking regularly. Talk with the expert above as I am sure he can give you more insight into the car. On the other hand strip the motor out and drop in a small block (Thing can't be more than 2000 pound with you in it).

+1 on the miata (Yes I know chicks car) but fun to toss around and can dribve for 200K without an issue.

Not really the same, but I had a TR7 Triumph. Fun car when it ran, but that was after I pretty much rewired it myself. Not that the wiring is all that hard on an old car. Some of the electronics had to be replaced and after a nice upgrade to the dual carbs and the normal shit, ie, full exhaust, etc, it was a fun, tossable little ride. I do miss it. Very pure, very gokart like.

Run Away

What sort of price range are you looking for? We have 2 Triumph TR6's that are for sale, but they are going to be close to 10K and they are a much better car.

As far as parts you can get almost anything for the car via moss motors, or victoria british which is nice. Unfortunately they just need a ton of work most of the time. If you are looking say sub $5K it's going to need work and when I say work I mean the brakes overhauled, the ignition system dealt with, carbs tuned, etc..

They are neat, but I could never justify owning one as a mechanic. I love the body lines of the Triumph GT6, but same deal. Too many negatives unless you spend the money up front for a nice example. They are almost as bad as Fiat 124 Spyders which are usually all over craigslist for next to nothing.

Run Away

What sort of price range are you looking for? We have 2 Triumph TR6's that are for sale, but they are going to be close to 10K and they are a much better car.

As far as parts you can get almost anything for the car via moss motors, or victoria british which is nice. Unfortunately they just need a ton of work most of the time. If you are looking say sub $5K it's going to need work and when I say work I mean the brakes overhauled, the ignition system dealt with, carbs tuned, etc..

They are neat, but I could never justify owning one as a mechanic. I love the body lines of the Triumph GT6, but same deal. Too many negatives unless you spend the money up front for a nice example. They are almost as bad as Fiat 124 Spyders which are usually all over craigslist for next to nothing.

This was the post I was waiting for. Thank you bud.

Maybe I should look into a miata lol

No problem lol, we should meet in person sometime you have quite the wide array of interests when it comes to cars. Didn't you want an old beetle the other month?

Miata's are cool, but if I am reading your car interests correctly you are looking for something a little more unique that you don't see every day and provides the fun factor. The problem with those types of cars is that there is a reason that you don't see them everywhere. There are some great cars out there and I don't want to discourage you from picking up a neat older ride, but the older stuff just takes a lot of tinker time depending on the car and condition.

No Miata's are cool, but if I am reading your car interests correctly you are looking for something a little more unique that you don't see every day and provides the fun factor.

Sean,

That's what flyinmiata and monstermiata are for.... ;-)

Sean,

That's what flyinmiata and monstermiata are for.... ;-)

Lol, I'm all over that idea! I suppose I should re-phrase, it depends on how much work you want to do, or how much you want to pay up front for someone elses work.