Thoughts on 2011 Durango...

V8 Beast

Looks much better than the previous generation. Having owned one and gotten rid of it, I'm still trying to figure out what it did well. Towing nope, room for three kids nope, fuel mileage nope, Take up tons of room yes. We had a 2000ish Grand Cherokee at the same time, and while smaller in every dimension it was more comfortable, same motor, better mileage, and didn't cry like a little girl when I put more than groceries in the back.

Ive got an 05 Hemi durango and although im not a big fan of it my girl loves the thing to death. The new one on the other hand is pretty hot inside and out. I was hoping theyd do something cool like an SRT version though. Its still early so maybe they will but until then the only disappointing thing is no new groundbreaking motor options. They did do away with the two dif. V8s, sixteen dif. V6s etc. etc. Now its just the Hemi or a pretty stout six. I dont see the point in a rwd option though. An SUV should like this should just be 2wd with awd when it needs it. No fulltime 2wd option please.

I've seen and sat in a couple and I think they're great. The old Durange was a giant POS that made me vomit in my mouth, but the new one is in now way related to the old. It rides on a stretched version of the new Grand Cherokee platform which has very good quality, ride, and handling. The Hemi's have good power but so does the new V6. Get the HEMI if you're towing, get the 6 if it's the wife's baby shuttle.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with a new Durango.

Doubt it, I rode the cota bus for 10 years of my life. I just like the fact that I can get to work without tranfers.

And that jeep is already in the works of replacing my wifes stratus. I love those things!

Buy my 06 grand Cherokee limited 5.7 hemi. I need to sell it. Love the thing to death but I'd rather get out from under my credit card debt. Pm me if you are interested.

I drove one last week Brian, I liked it honestly. I drove a Citadel, but was eye balling the R/T. Drove great IMO, and was pretty damn comfortable. I'm not swinger for Dodge, but like Ford they actually have an exciting diverse line up unlike GM. Granted, I wish a Cummins motor would find its way under the hood, the Hemi gets the job done. There's always an aftermarket to help it out on its fuel economy too. 14 city and 20 highway isn't bad for something that can haul 7.

• 2 weeks later...
I really like the new Durango, which is a more agressive version of the Jeep, however I read that the dated auto tranny is crappy, and that the next model ('12?) will have a brand new 7 spd auto that is much better at delivering the Hemi power. I will be waiting to see that...otherwise, seems like a great improvement. And yea, gas mileage...obviously make sure you have done the math at $5 a gallon.

The new ones look much better. I haven't driven one though. I rented the last generation and it was horrible. We nicknamed it the 'Hippo'. It had the hemi but couldn't get out of it's own way. It was pretty much a mini van pretending to be a SUV. If you told me it had a 4 banger under the hood I would have believed you. I'm really hoping all their new products deliver on their marketing campaign's message.

modern > dated

IMO if you're gonna drop money on an SUV, these days the nicest looking and best value is Grand Cherokee. Maserati is making a new SUV on that platform I think.

http://www.headlightblog.com/images/200905/2011-jeep-grand-cherokee-limited-uconnect-guardian.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/archive/c/c5/20100707234037!2011-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-Limited-SMH.jpg

edit: also, I couldn't live with the TBSS steering wheel. Not a single spoke without a damn button on it.

edit2: yeah i know the Jeep and the Durango are basically the same, I'd just rather have the Jeep...they hold their value better despite having more problems

I've driven both and while i agree the Jeep is nice, there's a lot more room in the Durango in pretty much every seat. It would be my choice for sure.

I liked the new Durango when I first saw it, but seeing it in person changed my mind. Not a big fan of it. Looks too much like the Dodge Journey. Dodge has never came out with an SRT model in the first year of a redesigned vehicle, so it will probably come in '12 or '13.

But I agree with most of you, I would get the new Jeep Grand Cherokee over the Durango. I won't ever need a vehicle with a 3rd row.