Ball Bearing Turbo

Don 95Vert

Bought this turbo used about 4 years ago. It appears to be a Turbonetics as the exhaust housing has their logo. The compressor has no markings as the previous owner polished them all off.

We measured it and it appears to have a 76mm compressor wheel. The exhaust housing is 0.96 A/R with, we think, a 68mm wheel.

It is a ball bearing unit with water cooling.

I had it in my Gen 1 Lightning the past 4 years and it made over 500 RWHP and over 600 RWT at about 13#.

It HAS shaft play - it had it when I got it, we talked to a couple turbo shops and they said some play is normal with ball bearing turbos. Not sure if that is true or not, but my new Turbonetics does not have this. It had the same shaft play when I put it on 4 years ago as it does now, when I took it off. The truck ran fine with it this way.

I thought about having it rebuilt, then selling it, but I decided to save myself the hassle and just sell it as-is but cheap so whoever gets it could get it rebuilt. I was going to send it off to Majestic Turbo in Texas. Not even sure if it CAN be rebuilt at this point i.e. it may be so old they can't get bearings - I have no clue. But it might be a super deal too.

Like I said selling as-is, you buy it, you got it. $300 I take cash, PayPal and all major credit cards. Please email me at dlasota@columbus.rr.com

http://www.lasotaracing.com/Graphics/Old%20turbo/turbo.gif

http://www.lasotaracing.com/Graphics/Old%20turbo/compressor.gif

http://www.lasotaracing.com/Graphics/Old%20turbo/exhaust.gif

Spool time depends on exhaust volume and a lot of other things. On my 357 V8 it was almost instant.

BTW - as Rob said it's a T4 exhaust, 3" V-Band exhaust, I'll have to measure the output, I think it's 2" ID. Has the oil-in flange. Needs fittings for water feed and the drain.

The play is all side to side, no, or negligible up and down play.

Edited by Don 95Vert

Just to be clear, did you measure the inducer or exducer of the compressor wheel? This is important info. Thanks

Inducer.

This is a decent turbo but it needs rebuilt. It WILL work the way it is but it's not right. The compressor wheel has left some amount of wear in the housing, we ran it for a few years without issue like this.

I was just saying dude. Its a fucking huge turbo dude. I would keep it to something like what you have but slightly larger and get a ball bearing along with a hta wheel or billet wheel.s

I was just saying dude. Its a fucking huge turbo dude. I would keep it to something like what you have but slightly larger and get a ball bearing along with a hta wheel or billet wheel.s

meh, its not THAT much bigger than mine.. i run a t70.

meh, its not THAT much bigger than mine.. i run a t70.

Oh so yo are use to big pieces of shit. Nice. Why are you running a turbo set up for a 800 hp car when you want to makes half that? Dumb .

Oh so yo are use to big pieces of shit. Nice. Why are you running a turbo set up for a 800 hp car when you want to makes half that? Dumb .

because thats the turbo that was on there. and my goal power level is higher than 400, but fuel is my weak link right now. that being said, i agree, i dont need a bigger turbo, i need a smaller one, because I cant stand all the lag.. the turbo is getting changed, i just havent decided what to put on it yet.

The play is all side to side, no, or negligible up and down play.

Just for clarity-if using this terminology, side to side and up and down are the same type of "play" (RADIAL variance). "In and out" would be the layman's term for AXIAL play.

Also not, most older (and some new) Turbonetics BB turbos are single ball bearing, and are indeed rebuild-able.

This is equivalent to a 40-42R garrett.

4202R. :)

You are both incorrect. :cool: